Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Way to test

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

So I often have problems with my Internet even though the speedtest says that everything is fine & of course the ISP claims there's nothing wrong.

Does anyone know of any user friendly software that isn't expensive that actually works (not some gimmick) that will tell me what the problem is?

I can't work, & I end up spending MORE time dealing with the ISPs than living my life :(

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

I don't think you'll get an all in one tool to many things can cause slow internet, internal / external hardware or software, malware the exchange the line or isp throttling ect ect so many things.

The only way is to start with your pc and work your way through every thing in the network using different tools.

Out side the house really is the ISP's domain some do have free tools that you can use yourself to check the line and for problems from the house upto but not normally inside the exchange.

Here is What I'd do to start with.

1: Check for Malware

2: Check the Networkcard

3: Check no new installed programs are hogging the bandwidth and slowing things down. (you'd be amazed how many things use the net even when you think they are not active.)

4: Give pc a spring clean temp files off and defragment just so your running at 100%.

5: Check router the settings are all OK.

6: Check all the wiring in your internal network signs of ware and for loose connections everything wants to be firmly in.

7: Check for corrosion or damage inside wall sockets.

8: Take a look outside where your line connects to the house for any sign of dmg.

9: Ping the exchange to check for any signs of packet loss.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi,

So I often have problems with my Internet 

What is the problem you are having? Without knowing what symptoms you are having it is difficult to suggests steps to take. Are you getting some kind of error or warning on your screen? If it's a page loading issue, does the whole page load slowly in whole, or does most of the page load but one part takes a long time? Does it effect all the computers on your network? Does it effect them at the same time? This is the kind of data you need to provide to us, and your ISP, if you are looking for answers. 

::Edit:: From looking at your previous posts, you were looking for a VPN client, even though I don't think you knew what a VPN is. From the logs you have posted, you are running PIA VPN. You are also running Qtorrent and have your system designed to automatically download files and upload them to the cloud. I would suggest disabling/uninstalling both and see if your problems continue.

() C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia_manager.exe

() C:\Program Files (x86)\qBittorrent\qbittorrent.exe

::edit:: spelling

Edited by Trikein, 17 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

"...3: Check no new installed programs are hogging the bandwidth and slowing things down. (you'd be amazed how many things use the net even when you think they are not active.)..."  Adding to this great advice:  what security, monitoring, reporting, logging, self-updating -- programs are running in the background?  In the foreground?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

I don't think you'll get an all in one tool to many things can cause slow internet, internal / external hardware or software, malware the exchange the line or isp throttling ect ect so many things.

The only way is to start with your pc and work your way through every thing in the network using different tools.

Out side the house really is the ISP's domain some do have free tools that you can use yourself to check the line and for problems from the house upto but not normally inside the exchange.

Here is What I'd do to start with.

1: Check for Malware

2: Check the Networkcard

3: Check no new installed programs are hogging the bandwidth and slowing things down. (you'd be amazed how many things use the net even when you think they are not active.)

4: Give pc a spring clean temp files off and defragment just so your running at 100%.

5: Check router the settings are all OK.

6: Check all the wiring in your internal network signs of ware and for loose connections everything wants to be firmly in.

7: Check for corrosion or damage inside wall sockets.

8: Take a look outside where your line connects to the house for any sign of dmg.

9: Ping the exchange to check for any signs of packet loss.

Sorry for the delay.

I use CCleaner all the time. Defragging, you are right, I should get on that. I keep getting conflicting answers about whether it's good or not good for the computer.

And yes I have computer issues, so I did start a thread in the other forum.

The hardware stuff is not up my alley. I've had them here many times, but they barely look at anything, so who knows.

The ping appears to be fine. I haven't tried to ping a specific site though.

I'm having issues, albeit different, on both computers & they are desktops which don't have network cards, correct?

I really don't think I've installed any new software. I rarely ever do. It's the same software all the time.

Let's see what happens after they hopefully fix whatever the problem is.

Thank you for your time :)

#6 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

So I often have problems with my Internet 

What is the problem you are having? Without knowing what symptoms you are having it is difficult to suggests steps to take. Are you getting some kind of error or warning on your screen? If it's a page loading issue, does the whole page load slowly in whole, or does most of the page load but one part takes a long time? Does it effect all the computers on your network? Does it effect them at the same time? This is the kind of data you need to provide to us, and your ISP, if you are looking for answers. 

::Edit:: From looking at your previous posts, you were looking for a VPN client, even though I don't think you knew what a VPN is. From the logs you have posted, you are running PIA VPN. You are also running Qtorrent and have your system designed to automatically download files and upload them to the cloud. I would suggest disabling/uninstalling both and see if your problems continue.

() C:\Program Files\pia_manager\pia_manager.exe

() C:\Program Files (x86)\qBittorrent\qbittorrent.exe

::edit:: spelling

I do camming & there is lag when camming. That's how I know there's issues.

On the other computer I sometimes can't send mail, although it corrects itself after a min. or two.

Or pages load slowly.

The camming is what really tells me there's issues. Like today I could even see myself lagging.

I don't have the torrent running when I'm camming & I have to have the VPN when I'm camming & of course I know what it is. I mean I don't know the ins & outs of it from a technical standpoint, but I know what it does. I've been using them since 2014.

Thanks

"...3: Check no new installed programs are hogging the bandwidth and slowing things down. (you'd be amazed how many things use the net even when you think they are not active.)..."  Adding to this great advice:  what security, monitoring, reporting, logging, self-updating -- programs are running in the background?  In the foreground?

ESET & Malwarebytes

#7 paapicholoo

paapicholoo

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

So I often have problems with my Internet even though the speedtest says that everything is fine & of course the ISP claims there's nothing wrong.

Does anyone know of any user friendly software that isn't expensive that actually works (not some gimmick) that will tell me what the problem is?

I can't work, & I end up spending MORE time dealing with the ISPs than living my life :(

Thanks

Did you connect to VPN?

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

Sorry, I don't know what "camming" is. I think I will let someone else help with this one. 

Edited by Trikein, 22 November 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:56 AM

"camming" -- my educated guess is camera-workings, photo-editing, preparing still and moving shots for display.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#10 paapicholoo

paapicholoo

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

"camming" -- my educated guess is camera-workings, photo-editing, preparing still and moving shots for display.

Second that

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Second that

Not what I came up with when I googled "camming".  :whistle:

Edited by Trikein, 22 November 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

Second that

Not what I came up with when I googled "camming".  :whistle:

Well, life is hard, next time, the thread-starter will be more clear up front  :)

#13 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

I was very clear.

Just b/c you don't know what camming is doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

It's using a cam on sites. I have multiple sites open at once, but when all is working fine, then it's fine.

#14 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

I didn't say you did anything wrong, you just aren't the type of user I wish to help. If I ran a business streaming adult film and was getting latency, I wouldn't call the ISP and complain about their internet and then go on a forum of technical people and then complain they weren't polite to you, all the while not giving technical data on the problem. IMO that is asking for people to not like you. I would discuss the issue as technically as I can, giving as much direct data as possible so people discuss your problem and not your "business". How can anyone suggest a program to test for the problem if you aren't showing what the problem is? "The ping appears to be fine. I haven't tried to ping a specific site though." Then show the ping. Show a tracert. Show your error logs. 

PS. If you don't mean adult film streaming by "camming" then you should be aware that is the typical definition and you may want to use different wording.

Edited by Trikein, 23 November 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#15 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

I didn't say you did anything wrong, you just aren't the type of user I wish to help. If I ran a business streaming adult film and was getting latency, I wouldn't call the ISP and complain about their internet and then go on a forum of technical people and then complain they weren't polite to you, all the while not giving technical data on the problem. IMO that is asking for people to not like you. I would discuss the issue as technically as I can, giving as much direct data as possible so people discuss your problem and not your "business". How can anyone suggest a program to test for the problem if you aren't showing what the problem is? "The ping appears to be fine. I haven't tried to ping a specific site though." Then show the ping. Show a tracert. Show your error logs. 

PS. If you don't mean adult film streaming by "camming" then you should be aware that is the typical definition and you may want to use different wording.

It should NOT matter what industry it is unless you are the type that discriminates. If you do, then I wouldn't want to talk to you anyway as I don't deal well with people who judge others.

I never asked YOU personally to help me. You responded to my post, it was your choice.

And if you needed more info, all you had to do was ask, not put me down b/c I didn't know what you wanted to know in advance. I don't read minds.

Adios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users