Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal hard drives wired externally?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Georgecomp

Georgecomp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:17 AM

Hey guys,

First off its great to be on this forum and hopefully i will get the answers to my problems, Also just to let you know i am not so computer technical so please bare with me and my lack of terminology. I have 3 hard drives that have all stopped working in different ways and i want to get some of the pictures and information off of them if possible. one of the drives lost he boot drive so it wouldn't boot into windows. Another drive got dropped so that might just be completely dead and the third drive i'm not sure if that is broken the computer just stopped working one day. Anyway The hard drive are the same as the one in the picture below not to sure what size it maybe 2.5"... I have brought a SATA to usb cable adapter/connector i'm also not to sure so there will be a picture of that below also. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!!

a009a2ba7ff31c389b7eeb1c8361491b.jpg

installharddrive5.jpg?1e8cde

Sorry about the size of the images i don't know how to make them smaller either....

Thanks guys 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

Welcome to the forums!

The drive in the image is a 2.5" IDE or PATA drive, so the SATA to USB adapter will not operate it. You'd need an adapter that also works with IDE, more like below (just for illustration, not necessarily a recommendation):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Adapter-Converter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-OU-/271988677499

Edited by Platypus, 17 November 2016 - 06:21 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Georgecomp

Georgecomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

Oh this looks more like it, i thought that the cable i had looked a little simple thanks for the link and its really cheap which is a bonus 

#4 Georgecomp

Georgecomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

This is a trusted site that i use is it the same product ??? 

http://www.for-sale.co.uk/sata-to-ide-power

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:40 AM

Those listings do appear to be for the same type of unit that you need.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

It looks like you want the top one that you linked as you need a 2.5" (notebook) drive adapter, this is different than a standard IDE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users