Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable external HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JustinTH96

JustinTH96

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:36 AM

Hi,

So for my internship I have to make a bootable external HDD with backup software on it. This means that the external HDD must be bootable via the bios and be capable of making a backup image.

I've searched whole google for a decent and explainable answer but I got no luck so far. I hope that some of you guys can help me or inform me.

Thanks!

- Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:35 AM

Hi

So for my internship I have to make a bootable external HDD with backup software on it. This means that the external HDD must be bootable via the bios and be capable of making a backup image.

A light live Linux distro, a knowledge of terminal and dd will do it, dd (Unix) - Wikipedia

So would Clonezilla, EaseUs

Clonezilla Live on USB flash drive or USB hard drive

Backup Free - EaseUS Todo Backup

#3 JustinTH96

JustinTH96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:30 AM

Hi

A light live Linux distro, a knowledge of terminal and dd will do it, dd (Unix) - Wikipedia

So would Clonezilla, EaseUs

Clonezilla Live on USB flash drive or USB hard drive

Backup Free - EaseUS Todo Backup

So for some reason clonezilla is working (tried it before but never would launch in the bios). Question 2 is: Can you backup the image on the external HDD or has it to be on the local C drive? Cuz it would be nice if you could back it up in the same drive. Also every time I boot I get missing "workdir" is this a bad thing or?

Edited by JustinTH96, 17 November 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:04 AM

Unless I misunderstood the backup question, a backup of any internal partition[s] should be placed onto any available, affordable, trusted, external media -- be it usb sticks, DVDs, platter-driven HDs, SSDs, or even attached NAS devices.

Because the main reason for creating a usb or dvd boot is to make restorable backups, I recommend that the boot will lead to a backup onto any other external media.  Putting a backup onto a usb boot is not a good idea; naturally a dvd boot will be finalized, so any other write action is impossible.

I've used Acronis True Image, Image for Windows, and Macrium Reflect usb and dvd boots.  I've never been successful in making a WinPE/xyzPE boot with added stuff -- so I will listen in and learn alongside you!

Edited by RolandJS, 17 November 2016 - 06:09 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JustinTH96

JustinTH96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:11 AM

Unless I misunderstood the backup question, a backup of any internal partition[s] should be placed onto any available, affordable, trusted, external media -- be it usb sticks, DVDs, platter-driven HDs, SSDs, or even attached NAS devices.

Because the main reason for creating a usb or dvd boot is to make restorable backups, I recommend that the boot will lead to a backup onto any other external media.  Putting a backup onto a usb boot is not a good idea; naturally a dvd boot will be finalized, so any other write action is impossible.

I've used Acronis True Image, Image for Windows, and Macrium Reflect usb and dvd boots.  I've never been successful in making a WinPE/xyzPE boot with added stuff -- so I will listen in and learn alongside you!

The thing is it's not on a usb device. I'm booting from a external HDD and I want to save the backup image also on that thing. So making a image from a computer, booting from a external hdd and putting that image on the same external HDD. Maybe my explaination is a little difficult so I'm sorry for that :)

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:11 AM

I just now re-read the thread starter, ok, your external HD will boot and very likely contain the restorable backups -- that should work   :)  And just now saw your gracious reply   :)

I recommend having at least two partitions on this ext HD:  the boot partition and the software needed for making backups, and a separate data partition that will contain the backups.  Name these partitions uniquely so that you always know where to "aim" the software's backups; and when it comes time to restore, where from to find the restore images.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 November 2016 - 06:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 JustinTH96

JustinTH96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:30 AM

I recommend having at least two partitions on this ext HD:  the boot partition and the software needed for making backups, and a separate data partition that will contain the backups.  Name these partitions uniquely so that you always know where to "aim" the software's backups; and when it comes time to restore, where from to find the restore images.

Followed your advice. Made a second partition on the external HDD and clonezilla recognized it. I'm now currently test imaging my laptop to see if it works and to see what happens when it's done.

Edited by JustinTH96, 17 November 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#8 JustinTH96

JustinTH96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

You can close this topic I got it to work exactly how I wanted it. Kinda strange cuz I did the same things way earlier and it didn't work. Thanks for your guys info!

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

We're glad to be of help!

Edited by RolandJS, 17 November 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users