Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WSUS Offline Updater and Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:27 AM

I've been tinkering around with a test installation for the past few weeks, as a way of getting to know the quirks of my system after Windows Update stopped working. I purchased a bigger 2nd hard disk for storage (my OS is on an SSD), so I decided I'd just test the waters for a few weeks without worry, then conduct a clean install of 8.1 and reinstall everything where it should be.

The test installation/s originally encountered a hitch whereby Windows 8.1 would not update. Since then, I've realised that's a problem not just with my machine. Luckily, I discovered WSUS Offline Updater. It did its thing, triggering whatever that was broken with Windows Update to kick into life. All was great. Windows updated itself. So, a few weeks later, I decided to go ahead with the same process for my proper clean install once I'd learnt everything I needed to know during these few weeks of tinkering.

Unfortunately, WSUS Offline Updater is misbehaving. It downloads the multiple gigs worth of updates, installs them successfully, then asks me to reboot my system (which, incidentally, would be the time when Windows Update would rouse itself from its reverie), but upon restart it's as if nothing was installed. The log files point to a successful process with no validation and verification errors, but not only are there no updates installed, but Windows Update itself is still not working.

I've tried this 3 times yesterday, all after a reformat and clean install, yet no joy. What the heck is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:46 AM

After clean installing Windows does the Windows Update work?

Where did you get the Windows Setup Media is legit?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:04 AM

No, even after each clean install Windows Update is stuck at 'Checking for updates.' I have the original Win 8.1 DVD that came with my PC.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:42 AM

How long does the checking for update get stuck you should leave it at lease for few hours before giving up on it.

Can you try repair install of Windows 8.1 or download and create new version of Windows 8.1 DVD and clean install Windows 8.1 OS.

"Repair Install Windows 8.1"

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

"Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Hi,

After a fresh install of Windows 8.1 the Windows Update client needs an update make sure you install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065988 and also the latest Internet Explorer 11 before trying to search for updates.

Note: Before installing the KB3065988 make sure you install the prerequisites.

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 November 2016 - 04:59 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

Problem solved!

I downloaded and installed KB3138615 and the update suggested by SleepyDude; installed both just to be safe, and rebooted. Then once I was back in Windows I ran Update from Control Panel, and there they were, all of them, lol.

Safe to say, everything is sorted (touchwood), and I can make my disk backup of a fully functioning, updated, and optimised C drive.

Although, I wonder why WSUS failed on three separate occasions after a clean install on each occasion. I even used the Diskpart Clean command to make sure the SSD was ready in each instance prior to installing Windows. I'm actually quite concerned about that for any future mishaps. It was as if, with each reboot, after downloading and installing the updates via WSUS the computer would undo the installation process. Very strange.

Edited by smithee16, 17 November 2016 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users