Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on 'IDENTIFYING'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GrimmReaper

GrimmReaper

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:32 AM

Hi everyone. I have an issue that has just started since I installed a WiFi adapter in my PC. My problem is as follows.....

I have internet access when I start my PC, however the network almost always shows as 'Identifying' even though I have internet access and everything works fine (PIC 1 shows 'Identifying issue).

When I try to disable and re-enable the adapter, device manager hangs then goes 'Not responding' indefinitely....meanwhile I still have internet access. If I try to uninstall the adapter, device manager

asks to confirm the uninstall, but when I press OK, it gets stuck on 'Uninstalling Devices' (PIC 2) indefinitely. Again I still have internet access. In fact I am posting this while it hangs on 'Uninstalling'.

If I go to WiFi networks in the taskbar next to the clock, it has the yellow warning triangle and says 'Limited Access' (PIC 3). This image also shows 'Identifying'.

I have a network widget and that shows my external IP but the internal IP field just shows 'Not Connected'......again, all through this I have internet access.

If I disconnect from the WiFi, then try to reconnect, I can reconnect but I lose internet access and cannot even access my router. If I restart my computer I have internet access back. I am trying to uninstall and reinstall the adapter but I am unable to uninstall it.

I have tried displaying the NETWORK MAP, however it will not display due to it apparently being set to 'PUBLIC' (not sure how it went from home to public). I cannot change the type to HOME due to it being stuck on 'Identifying'. It just tells me it was unable to change the network type.

Just to clarify, I have googled this for weeks with no solid fixes. I am also a Bachelor Of Information Technology student in my 2nd year and aced my networking units with almost straight High Distinctions but for the life of me I cannot figure this problem out.

I DO NOT use a proxy and do not run any VPN or anything of the sort. Any help is MUCH appreciated !!!

PIC 1

NASC_zpsckrixamu.png

PIC 2

Uninstall%20Hang_zpsgrpast2e.png

PIC 3

WiFi%20Networks_zpsjwgq6qpu.png

Edited by GrimmReaper, 17 November 2016 - 12:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

First, try disabling network discovery. My guess is it isn't accepting the new MAC address of the wireless adapter because there is no saved profile (home, work, etc) for it.

Second, what do you have in your IP stack? Can you show a screenshot?

Last, does the problem happen if you disable wireless security?

::Edit:: I also noticed you have two similar wireless network names. Is ASIO and ASIO_ext both your network and is it a normal house Wifi situation?

Edited by Trikein, 17 November 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#3 GrimmReaper

GrimmReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the reply.

First, as I stated above, it doesn't always get stuck on identifying, around 80% of the time yes, 20% no issues (however even if it isn't stuck on 'Identifying' and all is displaying fine, if I disconnect from the network and try to reconnect, it gets stuck on 'Identifying' and I have no internet access.) When I first booth the computer I always have internet access. I just tried disabling network discovery and it didn't do anything (maybe I need to reboot after disabling it ?)

Second, this is my IP Stack: There's a lot in there so I had to do 2 pics

IP%20Stack%201_zpswmaxfn5g.png
IP%20Stack%202_zpsp4nvlvau.png

Third, It doesn't seem to matter if I have WiFi security on or not. As stated, it doesn't always have this issue, just most of the time.

Last, yes I have the main modem/router (ASIO) and the WiFi Extender (ASIO_ext). I used to be hardwired to the main modem/router but knowing I was moving to a lace where I would need a WiFi card, I installed one before I moved. This problem started a few days after I installed the new WiFi card and it was hooked to ASIO. I have moved house 2 weeks ago and the WiFi card is now hooked to ASIO_ext however the problem persists, so it is not the device I am hooked to. I am only really left with one conclusion now is that the WiFi card itself is dodgy. Any other advice ?

::EDIT:: I just remembered that when this started happening, in the available WiFi networks there was one called 'NetworkProfile' and the card was continually trying to connect to that one. I was getting no internet and had no idea where that one came from so I deleted that 'NetworkProfile' from the networks list in the 'Wireless Networks Manager' thinking this may fix it but it has not. The card worked flawlessly for about 5 days......then this :\

Edited by GrimmReaper, 18 November 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#4 GrimmReaper

GrimmReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

I have tried just reinstalling the driver and the install stalls here indefinitely. I left it like that for 2.5 hours. I can't seem to do ANYTHING with this WiFi card..... I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall over the top of existing driver, I can edit the network type......NOTHING :smash:

Driver%20Reinstall_zpsynx4elzv.png

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Second, this is my IP Stack: There's a lot in there so I had to do 2 pics

Wow, that is a lot of items. My guess is you have a conflict in there somewhere. Have you tried disabling everything but the 7 item default?

"I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall over the top of existing driver, I can edit the network type......NOTHING "

Yea, that sounds more like a software issue then hardware issue.

#6 GrimmReaper

GrimmReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

I seem to have done some good here but still have no internal IP in m y network widget, however it is no longer stuck on 'Identifying'. Here's what I did.

Powered down & Physically removed WiFi card

Booted

Went to 'Programs and Features' and saw a driver for a TP Link Network Adapter

Uninstalled it (not sure if it was the WiFi card or the othewr network adapter I had in it prior to the WiFi card)

Powered down and inserted WiFi card

Booted

The system did NOT detect a new network adapter, however it was still doing the same thing.

I was then able to install the WiFi card driver I downloaded (it finally succeeded !!)

'NO NETWORK CONNECTIONS' with red cross on my network icon :scratchhead:

Installed WiFi card driver that came with the card (which is the one that had been used the entire time. I only downloaded one to see if it worked better)

Rebooted

VIOLA !! :thumbsup2: Network is no longer 'Identifying'.

I have not tried to disconnect and reconnect to the network yet as I'm kinda worried it'll do the same as before since there is still no internal IP in the widget, however there is in CMD with 'ipconfig /all'.

I can see and communicate with my other computers (which I could before). It may just be the widget not liking the WiFi connection for some reason. Not sure why as it was working fine for the few days before alll the problems started. I will try the disconnect and reconnect now and come back.

#7 GrimmReaper

GrimmReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

................. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

No go...... Same problem as before. As soon as I disconnect, it's all over until I reboot. Can't disable or reinstall driver or anything. Everything just hangs. Seems I need a new WiFi card. Thanks for the help anyway :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users