Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Registry Checker Initializing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lynn larremore

lynn larremore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

Running Win98se on an IBM thinkpad600e laptop.

Registry checker runs every time I restart or shut down the PC and it takes 20-30 minutes for WIN98 to start. That's not acceptable. I like the PC & don't want to deep six it.

At last count, I had 160K+ items in the registry. A year ago there were 30-40K and the PC didn't run it on a regular basis. I can't believe I have that many documents on this little bitty thing!

What can I do to stop the checkup?

At the suggestion of a local techie, I have tried a couple of registry cleaners, which have done little of APPARENT value, so have removed them but installed Registry Repair 2005 as a test on the PC now & it picked up & removed about 1000 items. Much better than others.

Any ideas out there?

Lynnwilly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

lynn larremore:
Do you get any messages before it runs the Registry Checker? Does it tell you that your registry is damaged?
If so, I would run through a memory test to ensure that you do not have a defective memory chip.

There is a free utility that you can find here - http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, most brand name computers come with a hardware diagnostic utility. If you have one, I would run through their tests to see if you are having a hardware issue.(specifically memory related)

Hope that helps,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users