Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft contributes to open ecosystem by joining Linux Foundation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Microsoft Joins the Linux Foundation as the World Remains the Right Side Up

As a whole, the company had embraced the open source software model since Satya Nadella took over as CEO. Previously, Microsoft had open-sourced various tools or core technologies behind some of its proprietary software. This includes Edge's JavaScript engine, the .NET compiler, TypeScript, Xamarin, and more.

Additionally, Microsoft also partnered with Canonical to bring Ubuntu on Windows 10, brought SQL Server to Linux, and worked with the FreeBSD, Debian, Red Hat, and SUSE projects to release images for Azure.

After all the technical support Microsoft has been providing to Linux projects, it was only a formality for the Redmond company to officially join the Foundation's ranks.

"Linux Foundation membership underscores what Microsoft has demonstrated time and again," said Jim Zemlin, Executive Director for the Linux Foundation. "Membership is an important step for Microsoft, but it’s perhaps bigger news for the open source community, which will benefit from the company’s sustained contributions."

Besides the Linux Foundation, Microsoft is also part of the Node.js Foundation, the Eclipse Foundation, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium, and one of its execs is currently in charge of the Apache Foundation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation-as-the-world-remains-the-right-side-up/#cid3795

NEW YORK — Nov. 16, 2016 — On Wednesday, during its annual Connect(); developer event, Microsoft Corp. unveiled a series of products and partnerships that strengthen the company’s Azure cloud platform for building intelligent, cross-platform apps and services. Microsoft Cloud and Enterprise Executive Vice President Scott Guthrie detailed significant steps Microsoft is taking to empower the ecosystem by giving developers greater choice in the tools they use — including joining the Linux Foundation as a Platinum Member to better collaborate with the open source community, welcoming Google to the independent .NET Foundation, and working with Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. to enable .NET developers to build apps for more than 50 million Samsung devices worldwide.
Guthrie also demonstrated a preview of Visual Studio for Mac, which enables developers to write cloud, mobile and macOS apps on Apple’s Mac operating system using the popular development environment; a preview of the next version of the company’s flagship SQL Server database with support for Linux, Linux-based Docker containers and Windows-based environments; and a preview of Azure App Service on Linux with support for containers.
“We want to help developers achieve more and capitalize on the industry’s shift toward cloud-first and mobile-first experiences using the tools and platforms of their choice,” Guthrie said. “By collaborating with the community to provide open, flexible and intelligent tools and cloud services, we’re helping every developer deliver unprecedented levels of innovation.”

http://news.microsoft.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-contributes-to-open-ecosystem-by-joining-linux-foundation-and-welcoming-google-to-the-net-community/#sm.0000a5xezkqwhelevro19oh9w8mrn#bKfpReUHJ0BvdlEb.97

At its 2016 Connect developer event in New York today, Microsoft announced that the company is joining the Linux Foundation as a Platinum member – the highest level of membership, which costs $500,000 annually.

http://thehackernews.com/2016/11/microsoft-linux-foundation.html

I don't like this, M$ is up to something.

Edited by NickAu, 16 November 2016 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

I don't know if they are necessarily up to anything... but being more active in the open source community they surely can help give it pushes into directions that might be more suitable to themselves. Only time will tell if they are up to anything nefarious.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

I Agree  NickAu i don't like that.

I don't know if they are necessarily up to anything... but being more active in the open source community they surely can help give it pushes into directions that might be more suitable to themselves. Only time will tell if they are up to anything nefarious.

That's what I'm worried about. is them doing if for themselves and not the community. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

Microsoft has been a big contributor to the linux kernel for a while. Joining the linux foundation is a logical step. TBH I'm surprised they weren't a member before that.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

Ironically, exactly 15-years ago the then Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer had termed Linux as cancer.

""Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches""

Edited by Condobloke, 16 November 2016 - 07:38 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

SURE. Of course. Completely understandable for a multi-billion dollar, profit-oriented corporation to help a competitor, non-profit entity that takes business away from them to help them take MORE business away from them. Completely logical.  Attached File  rolleyes.gif   705bytes   0 downloads

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

I've said it before.....and I'll say it again. Microsoft only ever does something for Microsoft. Not anybody else.

All this 'We love Linux' crap this last few years... Yeah, ri-i-ight. They're only in it for as long as it takes them to filch all the best open-source stuff for themselves. Though, of course, it's not only downright cheeky, but bordering on criminal to steal somebody else's intellectual property....only to turn it closed-source, and pass it off as their own...

You can take that to the bank, Nick. Of course they're up to something. Doesn't take a genius to spot that one. Quite what, remains to be seen, but you can be sure it'll be something major, to try and shut the 'competition' down.....HARD.

They'll do anything to regain their former glory days, when Microsoft was near enough 100% dominant in everything it touched.....and when all's said & done, they're remaining true to their creed; that of the almighty $.

Remember 'Embrace, extend & extinguish'???

And according to various ex-Microsoft employees, it's like working in a 'velvet sweatshop'.....

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/archive-inside-microsoft-a-velvet-sweatshop-or-a-high-tech-heaven/

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 November 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

@ Mike_Walsh............Agreed.

Around the time of the introduction of Windows 10, i expressed the opinion that msoft are on a path to destroy all and sundry in the name of the $.

Amongst other well founded reasons.......this is why I ditched windows and have become a Linux bloke.....(see my sig. below)

An opinion from Linus Benedict Torvalds ....would be of interest at this juncture.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hiya, condobloke.

An opinion from Linus Benedict Torvalds ....would be of interest at this juncture.

In all honesty, I think he'd tactfully decline to answer. Or, if he did, it would be a 'generic' answer; carefully worded so as not to cause offence.

Just my opinion. I could, of course, be wrong.....! Of course, unlike the days of Microsoft's former dominance, there's an awful lot more tech-savvy folks about than there were.....who understand just what kind of a f***ed-up mess the Windows OS really is. Untidy, messy, bit's n' bobs stuck all over the place like the afterthoughts they are....

And don't even get me started on the registry.....please:rolleyes:

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 November 2016 - 09:06 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

"If you can't beat them, join them." :)

#12 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

even though i use windows myself (while everybody here doesnt apperantly)i still think thats really shady especially considering how Microsoft deals with competition.

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 17 November 2016 - 12:06 PM.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

#13 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

@Condobloke Linux isnt going to go any further than servers and nerds' computers except if the developers of a linux distro manage to have a constant stream of enough money to convince a computer manufacturer (im talking about a major one)to bundle their distro with the manufacturers' computers because people definitely arent going to try installing linux on their computers because they dont care or are to stupid to understand how.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:21 AM

+1! :thumbup2:

Nick, I believe you, ever since Satya Nadella has became the CEO of Microsoft, there's been a 180 degree turn. Former CEO Steve Ballmer termed Linux a 'cancer' (at least we knew where he stood), as soon as Nadella became the CEO, it's been 'We Love Linux'. 

It's rather hard for me to know exactly what he meant, though part of that at the time was the Microsoft Azure platform, over 30% of it's customers (over two years back) were Linux ones. That number has surely grown by now, and Microsoft has deep pockets. Example, look at all of the wasted cash poured into a miserable Windows 8/8.1 OS that few wanted, other than those who hopped onto the $40 & $15 Windows 8 Pro promo in 2012, once the period for that was over, the brakes slammed on W8's growth. Yet Microsoft continued to pour bucketloads of cash into the OS if futility. 

This shows that Microsoft has deep pockets, and that they'll do anything to regain their 90+% usershare mark back, which became depreciated because more & more users were/are fed up with Microsoft's tactics & chose Linux instead of more of the same old song & dance. Lies, lies & more lies. For starters, Microsoft promised support for Windows 10 for the lifetime of the device, then started to backpedal to the point where Home users received two years of support & Pro 4 years. That's far from the 'lifetime of the device', be it a desktop PC, notebook or tablet or smartphone. 

And the biggest lie was that W10 would be the 'last Windows ever', lets take a look at the Microsoft Lifecycle Fact Sheet.

End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available update or service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle.

Client operating systems  Latest update or service pack  End of mainstream support  End of extended support   Windows XP  Service Pack 3  April 14, 2009  April 8, 2014   Windows Vista  Service Pack 2  April 10, 2012  April 11, 2017   Windows 7*  Service Pack 1  January 13, 2015  January 14, 2020   Windows 8  Windows 8.1  January 9, 2018  January 10, 2023 Windows 10, released in July 2015**  N/A  October 13, 2020  October 14, 2025

It's clearly seen that mainstream support ends on 10/13/2020 & EOL on 10/14/2025. Source link below. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

So what happens before 10/14/2025 is a huge question, there has been rumors that there will be a 'Windows Cloud' OS in 2020, yet they're a decade late to the party, Google has them beat huge, and gaining usershare, even though it's devices doesn't have traditional SSD's, rather a eMMC type that has nowhere close to the performance of the cheapest 2.5" model available, nor has remotely close to the TBW written allowed, which is how much one can write to the drive, measured in terabytes. Yet still Google is gaining ground. 

And so is Linux, which was meant to be free. Even if Microsoft were to purchase Canonical, as the two corporations have been cuddling, that action alone cannot stop anyone from forking Ubuntu & it will happen within 15-30 seconds after announcement of a merger. The only power that Microsoft can hold would be title to the Ubuntu name & branding, not the underlying OS, which many has their hands on & surely there's groups eager to take the OS & refine it. 

This could actually be as much seen as a Shuttleworth betrayal of Ubuntu users as well, which cannot be overlooked. He is the one with the final say with the demise of Canonical, not Satya Nadella. Yet money talks, and everyone has a price tag, whether or not one wants to admit it. Microsoft would then have more power, lots more, yet w/out many of the same employees who made Ubuntu what it is today. Many will walk off the job if a merger takes place, especially those who values a free OS for everyone. :)

Then the core of Ubuntu could be reorganized into what it's supposed to be, a truly free OS for everyone, and place humanity back into the renamed OS, another lie by Shuttleworth on the Ubuntu side. He proclaimed that to gain market share & once it was the #1 distro, threw the freebies that meant a lot to many away a few years back. 

Shuttleworth & Nadella would probably be great sidekicks together, as both has one thing in common, being liars. :angry:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

Yes, you're right, Cat. The whole situation is going to bear watching closely.....and I, too, can see the O/S being 'forked' ASAP if a merger does take place.

It begs the question, though; if this merger does take place, what, exactly, happens to all those distros who base themselves on Ubuntu....bearing in mind the general terms of the GPL? That if any modifications are made (which most distros do, TBH), it must be re-distributed; with M$ then having title to the core OS, will others be able to utilise it any longer? Won't they try and turn it 'closed-source'?

With MyCrudSoft having joined the Linux Foundation, I can see them trying to exert their influence to get the GPL itself re-worded. The do indeed have 'deep pockets', and we all know perfectly well just how much of M$'s dominance over the years has been due to their love of litigation.....

I'll be watching this one with a degree of concern, since even Puppy bases several of it's 'main' releases on Ubuntu source-code. And without being 'funny', they're often the easier Pups to use and configure; the Slackware-based Pups tend to need a little bit more work to get how you like them. Brilliant little distros, but they do tend to be a bit more 'bare' at release stage than the 'buntu-based Pups.

With all this being the case, what's the betting that it won't be long before they (M$) start 'cozying-up' to Red Hat, Debian, Arch, even Gentoo (!!), and attempting to bring all the major writers of original OSs under their 'umbrella'....with the ultimate aim of shutting the entire open-source 'competition' down for good?

A rather bleak vision, perhaps .....but M$ are just vengeful enough to attempt it.  :rolleyes: The words 'total monopoly' and 'dictatorship' kind of spring to mind here..!

And M$ have always played the 'long game'...

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 19 November 2016 - 11:07 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users