Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2012 - offsite dc traffic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 w1ndows

w1ndows

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

I am setting up a DC (DC2) at a remote office as more of a backup DC for DR.     The host site, currently only has 1 DC (DC1) for the domain.   I setup a new 'site' in Windows AD Sites and Services and added in DC2.    

To confirm that DC2 was working and test DR, I shutdown the host DC1 and made sure new users could logon to the domain and that DC2 was showing as the logonserver.   

My question is that once I bring up DC1, is there a way to make users switch back to using DC1 for authentication, etc..   Or will this happen automatically after a certain period of time.  I'm not sure what that process is and if there is a default time period.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:41 PM

Which ever server is listed as the primary dns server on the client will receive the logon requests.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 w1ndows

w1ndows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

Thanks.   I noticed that once I brought DC1 back online,  reboot a PC and login with a user that had already been logged in.  It would still show DC2 as the logon server still.  I assume it is going with cached info, but not 100% sure and not sure how long the cached information stays.

If I reboot and login with a user that hasn't logged into that computer before it will show DC1 as the logonserver.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

You nee a global catalogue server in each location for users to login because cached logins will work until they expire.

#5 w1ndows

w1ndows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

Both DC1 and DC2 are global catalog servers.   I confirmed that logins will still work on DC2 (even though it is in a different AD Site,  but same domain) when DC1 gets shutdown.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Kind of an obvious question, but in setting up the sites, did you configure separate subnets for each site? If both sites are on the same subnet, clients will authenticate to whichever DC is listed first in DNS.

#7 w1ndows

w1ndows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

Yes, I do have the different subnets specified in AD Sites & Services.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Next question: Are the IP addresses static for all clients, or just the DCs? If you are using DHCP, have you checked the default DNS server and default gateway that are being delivered to clients?

#9 w1ndows

w1ndows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

IPs are all static with DNS pointing to DC1 as the primary and DC2 as the secondary.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Sorry for the delay; I've been swamped at work. If you log on as a different user on that same computer, which DC is the logon server? Is it still DC2, or does it switch to DC1?

#11 w1ndows

w1ndows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

If I login with a different user it will switch back to the correct DC.   I am just looking to see what the timeout is and if there is a way to force cached users to use the DC1 logonserver when it comes back online.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users