Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Crash With Lines On Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oz_herb

oz_herb

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

ok this pc hasnt been used for a couple of years due to it not working properly but now i have no choice to use it .... this pc crashes and gets lines from the top of the screen to the bottom usually using the same colours that the page it crashed on was using.ive dowloaded all of the programs it says to on the hijackthis forum but none have fixed the problem,before doing this i reloaded xp and that didnt fix it either. could i have loaded xp better to whipe the pc of this prob?let me know ewhat you need to know to help me please.thanks alot. oz.

p.s. the pc startup and even to load a page is so slow i had to use anouther pc to post this edit to let you know that!!!! grrrrrrrr

Edited by oz_herb, 25 August 2006 - 01:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:16 AM

If your not finding any malware the symptoms you describe could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, drivers, etc. If thats the case then reinstalling Windows will not resolve the issue.

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Open your machine and make sure the fans are working and the heat sink on the processor is not blocked with dust or debris. Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air. Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. You can also remove the cards, RAM modules, clean and reseat them. Check your connections and fans to make sure they are working properly and monitor the temperature. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis.

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically and you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error code when it happens. This is a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and disable automatic rebooting, do this:
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under "Startup and Recovery" click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
4. Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
5. Click "OK" and reboot.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem.

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

Try Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis - The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. Also see Memtest86+ and Memtest86.

Check for updates to your drivers with a free Driver Scan.

Check your computer's Disk Health here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

ok im very very slowly going throu the list of things you suggested ...thank you..... i did what you said to get the blue screen of death but no go it still just brings up lins on the screen ...no blue screen!
i have motheboard monitor 5 on th pc now but having problems trying to figure out what my mother board is...intel pentium....but what is the model for the next step in setting up the monitor? where do i find the info...i have everest on the pc but the infomation it gives dosnt seem to match anything.

the cpu fan....i cant seem to pull it of to look hahahah and the ram looked clean...the fan looks to be running well thou!

i'll start going throu the rest of your list but it keeps crashing minutes after restarting the pc after i get the lines ...somtimes it could be 30 seconds somtimes 30 minutes b4 it crashes and needs me to restart it.oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users