Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Stuck.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun

mattytun

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hi had to take my Dell Windows 7  laptop back to factory setting and now am trying to instal the windows update so far it's been searching for 5hours and still searching is this normal

The laptop is 5 years old

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hi:

This has been a serious and widespread problem for Win7 (and Vista and 8/8.1) for many months.

But there is a solution.

This worked for me on 2 Win7 systems and for many, many others who had the same issue at another forum.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 16 November 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

EDIT/UPDATE:

Since this is a factory image, I forgot to mention that you might also need to install KB3125574 using the same process (probably before installing 3172605).

Those 3 patches ought to fix the issue with perpetual checking for updates.

MM

#4 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:57 PM

Thanks worked fine

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

Excellent!

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users