Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus ROG 501JW Restarts When Sleeping or Hibernating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 armorhide406

armorhide406

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

This is by no means a new issue. There are many results and fixes on the intergoogle. But all the purported solutions haven't been successful at all.

Let's see if I can list as much information as possible.

This laptop shipped with Windows 10 64 bit. I've had it for about two months, and this issue started perhaps two weeks back. Whenever I try to make my computer simply go to sleep by pressing the power button, closing the lid, or navigating to the start menu, it will always shut down. Pressing the power button will completely reboot my computer. I have made sure that what the actions (lid, button, menu) all are supposed to set the computer to sleep mode. This is annoying at best and inconvenient to my work (student here) at worst, but it'd be nice not having to re open all my programs every time. 

The computer reboots whether plugged in or not, and seems to do it instantly, as opening it up after waking up or just closing the lid and opening it again make no apparent difference.

Solutions I have tried:

Ensure that all the power plan settings are in order. I use the Power Saver plan, and usually my laptop is plugged in with elevated supports for better airflow.

Initially the advanced settings were to turn off the display in 10 minutes both plugged in and on battery power, and to never sleep. I set Turn Off Hard Disk to never, turned off Allow Hybrid Sleep, Hibernate After never, and disabled Wake Timers. All to no avail. I think it may have to do with the computer's definition of sleep, and I think somewhere in the event viewer it says that the computer improperly shuts down.

Running the power trouble shooter and event viewer reset the power plan settings. Currently Hard Disk turns after 20 minutes, Hybrid Sleep is allowed, but Hibernate After and Wake Timers are still off.

In the event viewer, under System, I got some errors, but mostly information and warnings.

Some other solutions I tried: Rolling back the Intel Management Engine Interface to 9.5.whatever, but the Roll Back option was greyed out. It's currently sitting at 11.0.0.1146. I downloaded it again from Asus's website and repaired the installation. But no help.

I read that perhaps the issue could be with a modem or device. But IDK about tweaking the dorm's router that would wake up my computer, but then realized the issue wasn't waking up at all. The only other constant device plugged in is a USB mouse, which I unplug anyways overnight. Plugged in or not, it doesn't affect the sleep thing. Or rather reset.

Another possible fix was with the chipset or BIOS. I downloaded the relevant files from Asus's website. Chipset thing ran smoothly, but the BIOS update (I'm at 210 and the latest is 211) doesn't have any documentation attached, nor is it an executable. It's a 211 file. Whatever the hell that is.

And I updated my Nvidia graphics driver through the Nvidia control panel prompt. The laptop came with a 960m, if that's relevant. I also ran a powercfg /energy diagnostic and can link the html file.

Is there any other solution I haven't tried? And if you have diagnostic procedures, please walk me through em, cause I'm not exactly the most tech savvy (though my google fu is strong). Lemme know if you need screencaps. And if it doesn't work, I suppose I can deal with it, since I already am.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by armorhide406, 16 November 2016 - 04:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 armorhide406

armorhide406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

It seems to also reset the recognition of Steam on my computer. Rather than automatically logging in, I now have to re login to Steam. And some games that I have installed seem to just be uninstalled every time I turn on my computer, which is daily, since closing the lid puts it to sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users