Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Anti-virus should i use

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

I am a Comcast customer and they offer Norton security suite for free.My question is , Should I use Norton or Stick with windows defender and Windows firewall which I am currently using in windows 10 and had no problems with them so far.

Edited by bug1971, 16 November 2016 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:07 AM

I would stick with what you've got. Current iterations of Norton are known to overuse system resources.

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:28 AM

Win Defender and firewall works just great in Win10, the senior members and staff here will likely confirm this, too. From what I gather, Defender now uses cloud definitions which makes it all the more solid. For further peace of mind, I'd also add in an anti-exploit program and something to fend off spyware too.

Edited by robby501, 16 November 2016 - 04:31 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:40 AM

Hi:

Until @quietman7 pops in...

...perhaps have a look at his post here (and the many links therein):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600344/best-free-antivirus/#entry3893512

There are many fine choices, but it comes down to a layered approach using the products that best suit the computer hardware/software, the user's preferences and budget and other factors.

But no security program or collection of programs can protect 100% of computers from 100% of malware 100% of the time.

The first and last line of computer defense is the part between the chair and the keyboard. :wink:

Cheers,

MM

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:50 AM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton (Symantec) is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For other anti-virus alternatives, please refer to Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

Personally, Windows Defender work well on my Win 10 PC, I would stick with it. I also use MBAM Pro for extra protection.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. I currently use  Windows defender, windows firewall, and Mbam free for extra protection. You hear so many different opinions on this subject. That is why i came to bleeping computer.com, I trust you guys and i respect and value all its members opinions and advice.

Edited by bug1971, 16 November 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

Hi:

Thanks guys for the feedback. I currently use  Windows defender, windows firewall, and Mbam free for extra protection.

MBAM Free does not provide protection.

It is only an on-demand, manual scanner to help REMOVE an infection that already made it past your real-time defenses onto the system.

With some of today's nasty malware (e.g. ransomware), that would be "too late".

For layered real-time protection alongside WD or any other AV, you would need a paid license for MBAM Premium.

It helps to catch and PREVENT certain types of non-viral malware often missed by the AVs BEFORE they infect the computer.

(Also, if you purchase a license now, you will be protected from the imminent price increase that will kick in when MBAM 3.0 launches soon.)

HTH,

MM (unaffiliated with Malwarebytes corporation and no financial interest in their products)

Edited by MoxieMomma, 16 November 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#9 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

thank you @ MoxieMomma Will MBAM Pro and windows defender cause any conflicts running at the same time. I was going to purchase MBAM in the past  but was concerned about conflicts 

Edited by bug1971, 16 November 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hi:

No, there should be no conflicts.

As I mentioned, MBAM PREMIUM (they changed the name from "Pro" in 2014) is specifically designed to run alongside your AV to help provide layered protection against different types of threats.

Lots of folks run MBAM Premium with WD under Win10.

Cheers,

MM

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Some anti-virus vendors will ask you to remove Malwarebytes and other security software prior to installation in order to avoid conflicts when the reality is they only want you to use and rely on their software. Conflicts typically occur when installing two anti-virus products but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program...see Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside anti-virus software without conflicts. In fact, Malwarebytes has been conducting AV Compatibility Testing for years.In some rare instances, you may need to add exclusions for both the anti-virus and Malwarebytes in their respective exclusions list to resolve problems and achieve the best possible system performance.

AV-Testing-Report-May-2013-copy.jpg

There are members of the Microsoft community who recommend only to use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a stand-alone scanner to avoid possible conflicts. Although there have been some reports from Windows Defender users that it will not work when Malwarebytes Premium is installed, others have indicated the two products work fine together so you may need to experiment and add exclusions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

I agree with quietman7, Norton just uses to many resources... We used to run Norton on our employees work computers years ago but it just used to many system resources. Windows Defender works perfectly fine in Windows 10.

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users