Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:16 AM

Is Tweaking Windows 10 good or Bad? Is there really a speed difference. I"ve heard a lot on both sides of this issue. I trust Bleeping Computer.com to give me an answer and finally solve this for me. The more i research this topic the more confused I get.

Edited by bug1971, 16 November 2016 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Depend on what you want to tweak. If you adjust down the visual effect it might increases speed in old computer, new computer I don't think it will make a big difference. You need to be careful when doing this, some require registry edit and it can destroy OS if doing incorrectly, registry backup is highly recommended.

You cannot expect to get 2x-3x speed increases by just tweaking some settings in the OS.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

What exactly do you wish to tweak?

Tweak in Windows 10 is usually aimed at applications that owners of computers with this operating system do not want running on their computers.

There are members who are concerned with applications that monitor Windows 10, specifically telemetry.  This monitors security and reliability issues and is not suppose to peruse you private data.  But there are those that are paranoid enough that they wish to disable this application.

Another application that some owners don't care for, for similar reason, it Cortana.  It's a "personal assistant" which is suppose to enhance you Windows use.  This was one of the first applications I disabled.  But, this again is a personal choice.

Some people don't like the "revised" Start Menu.  It does take a little getting to now it to be comfortable with it.  But you can always use Clasic Shell which provides a Start Menu very similar to the Windows 7 menu.

One of the problems with each new version of Windows is the fact that there is always something new that may require a learning curve.

I would suggest leaving applications as they are and get to know them before making any decisions regarding tweaking anything. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it comes down to that if you want more speed , you will have to upgrade your computer. There are so many bad tweaks on the internet floating around unless you really know what you're doing you can really mess your computer up.There is no magical tweak that gives you a significant speed increase. 

Edited by bug1971, 16 November 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

The quickest way to speed up your computer usually is to add more RAM.  Please do the following so I know what you have installed.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3X8Q3SqCpj3z8ybH6nid1zC

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

You have 8GB of RAM, this should be plenty if you are just getting online, sending or receiving mail, and going to websites.  If you were doing something that is resource intensive like video editing then you may consider adding more RAM.  But if you are not in need of this you probably would really notice the additional RAM.

I'm a little concerned with your temperatures, CPU 40c, motherboard 45c, and the graphics is 47c.  Is the inside of the case clean, especially the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU?

#8 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

Inside of the case was kinda dusty so i used some canned air. seems to have lowered the temps. thanks for your help. much respect to you bud.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

Glad to help.

There is one other thing you could do which would make the computer a tad bit faster.  This would be to purchase a SSD and put your Windows operating system on it.

#10 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thank you Brother, i will

#11 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

Buying a SSD will make boot time faster, application start faster, high read and write speed....pretty much it will make your computer A LOT faster, just like a new computer. I doubt you will go back to HDD again once you know how fast SSD is. When I get my first SSD, I regret using HDD for so long, now when I install OS on a HDD and use it, I make me feel that I am using a computer that is 10 years old. Because you want to increase performance, you should get a SSD since your computer doesn't have it. When you start using it you won't be disappointed.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

Tweaking & Optimizing Window Operating System

Posted Image

#13 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Just a update guys and girls. I took your advice and bought a 1 TB SSD. Can not beleive the speed difference...WOW! thanks so much for the advice. I guess when it comes down to it, their is no magic tweak that will Significantly improve performance. Thanks again guys for the great info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users