Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Inspiron 3847

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheB00ba

TheB00ba

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hey guys. So I've had this computer for about three years now. As time has gone on I've been planning and purchasing parts to upgrade my computer later on. About a year ago I got my GPU PNY GTX 950 from Best Buy. That gave me a huge boost to my general performance in-games. I was very happy, but not yet satisfied.

This weekend I purchased a 4Tb hard drive to upgrade from my 1Tb which was becoming full. I also have a 500Gb drive from the computer before this one that I was using as back up. I went ahead and moved all of the stuff on my 500Gb to my 4Tb drive just a little while ago after I installed Windows 10 onto the new drive. I'm going to be switching the 500Gb to the 1Tb drive and repeating the process in a little bit. However, upgrading my HDD's were never my major concern.

I also purchased a new processor for my computer; the i5 6600k core.

My current motherboard doesn't support this core so I went ahead and purchased an Asus Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 b150M-C/CSM motherboard. To my surprise when it arrived today it was actually a bit smaller than my current Intel board.

Everything went well until I realized there were several problems. My CPU fan couldn't be put on the board. I looked at the motherboards manual and noticed that the fan in the manual had a different mount style. The mount looked a lot like the mount this fan had - LINK. I also noticed that the fan plug for the fan that sits on the very back of the computer under the power source was a four pin plug instead of a three pin plug like my current mobo. I mentally noted that and moved on to see if there were any other potential problems. As I feared, there were. The cord that connected my power button for the LED and such to the motherboard didn't have the right plug for it on the actual mobo. ON THE PICTURE BELOW: This cord was black, white, red, orange, yellow, and blue; where it plugs in is to the very right of the ODD ports are located, at the edge of the board. Two of the three cords that connect the mobo to the front panel of my computer where the two USB's and audio jacks, didn't have a proper plug either. ON THE PICTURE BELOW: The three cords that I describe have color coded plugs. The cord I was able to plug into the new mobo without any issue was the yellow one. The green and black one, to the right of where the ram sticks would be placed, did not seem to have a slot. (I'll take pictures of all of the plugs/pins if needed)

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sjk_co/88DT1-4.jpg

I also had one part that had been on my intel motherboard that didn't have a slot for the new board. I don't know what exactly it was or what it was for. Here's an image of a motherboard just like mine. The long white stripe below the CPU has a little chip with a black and white cord that connect to two things on the front of the computer. I'm not sure what the chip is for and what to do with it.

So my following questions;

Do I need to buy a completely new fan to put over the CPU or do I just need a mount set? If so what kind of fan?

Do I need to buy a new fan for the rear of my computer that has a plug with four pin slots?

Should I worry about the chip with the small black and white cords?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

For questions:

- Old fan (cooler) is what? It's possible you need new fan or new fan mount. If current fan is cheap, I suggest you go with new cooler.

- Three pin fan works well with 3 pin connector. That fourth pin is for PWM speeds adjust.

- More info about this one? Probably not but still, picture where I see what exactly those cords are...

It's possible that your case is old and so are connectors.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 16 November 2016 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users