Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

I read here and there about somebodies PC is infected with so and so trojan, spyware etc. How do you find the name of the trojan, spyware or whatever name that your PC is infected with? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Doesn't your AV and / or spyware say the names of what it finds ? Or am I misunderstanding you.
What AV and spyware are you running?

Edited by boopme, 24 August 2006 - 09:24 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

Hi boopme,

Forgive me, I'm a newb to PC's. I've been using my Mac until it was sent in for repairs. I run an AV on it, but as of yet, it still has not detected anything like this PC had and I have not had any experience with PC "bugs" before now. So then, the ones listed by the AV's and Anti-Spies are the ones I've been reading about. I thought when they are detected and deleted that they would be gone forever from the PC that they had infected.

Edited by Buddyme2, 25 August 2006 - 12:03 AM.

#4 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:25 AM

Hi Buddyme2

if you want to reed more try this:

Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

more info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

Stelios :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hi Buddyme2, Some good reads posted there by DASOS, be sure to check them out.
Well the MAC is generally more secure overall. As you now see. They should be put into Quarantine folder.So that you can be sure it is not deleting a valuable file. You can look at them there and find more info on them. What AV do you use? Are you still having problems with this PC because of these findings?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Hi boopme,
I'm back on my Mac, YAHOO!
We had Norton on there, but when we were trying to get rid of smitfraud, Norton had been keeping a couple in it's exception folder, so we couldn't delete or put them in quarantine. So then we uninstalled Norton and installed AVG free. Finally got rid of smitfraud, but now have something else on the PC. I have a HJT log that is being worked on.
Thanks DASOS for the links.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hi Buddyme2, That's good news. Remember NOT to change anything on your PC now unless instructed to by the HJT team..
Good luck

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hi Buddyme2, That's good news. Remember NOT to change anything on your PC now unless instructed to by the HJT team..
Good luck

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users