Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TiVo pop-up ads, restrictions raise consumer concerns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

Digital video recording pioneer TiVo Inc. has long promised "TV Your Way"By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer But the company's plans for pop-up ads and restrictions on copying have sparked worries that the service may be eroding consumer control in favor of Hollywood and advertiser interests. Is it becoming TiVo -- their way? "Consumers are very distrustful of technologies that seize yet another opportunity to offer up advertising," said Mike Godwin, legal director of Public Knowledge, a public interest group. Whether the fears are founded or not, he said, "it feels like TiVo is taking away some of the prerogatives and flexibility that TiVo TV watchers have become accustomed to." ~For those of you who may be considering "Tivo" (or already have it) check out the second link. I have not ever used "Tivo" but I do now have the BMC9012 Broadband Media Center. It is being offered now by my Internet Service Provider. To me it is the same thing, only better. Especially considering what "Tivo" has in store for it's users.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:41 PM

I heard about this a while back. Let me just say Fatheads!

There being greedy! As much as tivo costs.......Raise the price but skip the adds. Thats what I have to say......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users