Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic address finder in Outlook 2016

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

Windows 10 Pro, Outlook 2016.  I have a correspondent in Austria, let's call her Joan Smith (not her real name).  Her E-mail address is "j.smith@abc.xy".  In my address book she is listed as "Joan Smith <j.smith@abc.xy>".  When I want to send her a message, I can type a "j" (upper or lower case) in the address space, which gives a dropdown menu with "j" names including "Joan Smith <j.smith@abc.xy>".  When she replies to me, the return address is listed as "j.smith@abc.xy" without the "Joan Smith" part.  If i incautiously reply to such a message "as is" without first hitting the "j" and selecting the full name and address to replace what's in the address space, the message goes out to "j.smith@abc.xy" without any name, and my automatic popup entry of "Joan Smith <j.smith@abc.xy>" is gone forever.  To get it back I have to delete the "j.smith@abc.xy" from the dropdown list, reboot the computer, open up Outlook, write a new message to "Joan Smith <j.smith@abc.xy>" and send it, reboot the computer again, and only then when I hit "j" in the address space "Joan Smith <j.smith@abc.xy>" will appear among the "j" choices in the dropdown menu.

Can anybody tell me what I have to do to avoid having her "name-less" return address override the entry in my automatic search list?  Set the search to use the address book instead of the automatic search list?  My address book has about 2500 entries, at least 50 of them under "j", so the resulting dropdown would be much more unwieldy than the automatic one which includes only those people with whom I actively correspond.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users