Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer to win 7 & Printer prob

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PSG_Warner

PSG_Warner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hello,
What is the best way to transfer QuickBooks from Windows 98 to Windows 7. The computer only has a floppy disk drive, and an Ethernet port. I'm figuring the best way is to take the hard drive out and buy some data transfer to usb port for it or transfer cable. This computer has 20k+ accounts on it that would be great if we could transfer it over. 
If the best process is to transfer cable, then what exactly is the process in doing that? I know how to make the transfer cable. Hazy on the exact details after that.

2nd question,

The computer will print one page out of quickbooks. When you try to print another page or batch print, it will give a error. Spool32 maybe? I have changed from the printer using spool to printing directly to the printer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,493 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

QuickBooks stores all of its data and custom forms in one file with a QBW extension.

It is safe to assume that the hard drive on the 98 computer is IDE and not SATA. It is also a safe assumption that the Windows 7 computer does not have a floppy disk drive connector.

Older versions of QuickBooks do work with Windows 7. I would install QuickBooks on the Windows 7 computer but dont just run the setup program. Highlight SETUP and right click on it. Go to properties. Go to the Compatibility Tab. Select run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. Click OK. Install QuickBooks that way and test it to make sure it works by opening a sample data file.

If that works, which it should, then remove the hard drive from the 98 computer and attach it to a 3 in 1 hard drive adapter that has IDE and SATA connectors. These can be had for under 20 bucks. Attach the adapter to a USB port and copy the data file to the Windows 7 machine.

Your printer problem may not exist on a Windows 7 computer.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,314 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

My understanding (for several years) is that Quickbooks stores the main files online at its website.  The files which are installed on the system are the working files for that system but the backups, etc. are online.

I could be wrong, but the last time I looked QB and had to try to recover some files...that's the way it was explained to me.

In any case...you cannot transfer programs from one OS or system to another...programs must be installed in order to perform in a version of Windows.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,493 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

A Windows 98 computer would predate online data storage.

I use QuickBooks every day on both my XP and 7 systems. Old versions do work with Windows 7 as long as they are installed using XP SP3 compatibility mode.

The file extensions for the data files are QBW for the working file and QBB for the backup

It is beyond me why anyone would want to put their business data in the cloud. Local storage is best for critical records

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:50 AM

It is beyond me why anyone would want to put their business data in the cloud. Local storage is best for critical records

Agreed, theirs so many things wrong when it comes to cloud its not funny and if i wanted to do off site backups with a 3rd party it wouldn't be cloud, it would be old stile data farms uploaded FTP stile with max encryption for the connection "forget 256bit think Department of Defense 4000 bit" and to a part of the world were they can't be touched legally just for that extra level of privacy protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users