Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant wireless drop outs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hopefully this is the right area to ask!

So I've been having computer issues on and off for about a year, mostly down to something windows related when it comes to refusing to boot after restarts. Fingers crossed I think the latest format/fresh installation seems to have fixed it. But one problem which has been a constant for awhile now has been my wireless connection dropping.

I know very little about this stuff, so apologies for the lay explanation. Basically I have a set up with a router in another room which my PC is connected to via a wireless card. I have a feeling the wireless card itself may be the issue as it is probably 5yrs old. But then again, I don't know if them aging is a particular problem? I get constant internet disconnections on my PC. Over a 24hr period I'd say it would happen maybe 7-8 times. Each time it happens it'll stay disconnected and the wireless symbol on the taskbar has the red symbol over it. To fix it, all I do is right click and trouble shoot. It immediately fixes it and gives the message "a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken" as the detected problem, then fixed is "problem with wireless adapter or access point". I'm not really sure what that means ... it seems to be suggesting a hardware issue but then without touching anything hardware related it can be temporarily fixed just through this method.

I don't think the problem lies with the router as it is reasonably new and is working when my PC isn't (i.e. my phone is still using wireless and laptop too). So the problem has to be with my PC. But I don't know if its as simple as needing a wireless card replaced? 

Is there any other diagnostic stuff I can run to check this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Try going into network connections (type network connections in the start menu search box), disable the wireless connection, then re-enable it. That should reproduce the same results as the internet troubleshooting wizard. I would make sure the drivers for the wireless card are up to date first. Since you re-installed Windows it may not have the latest or correct drivers installed.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

"I have a feeling the wireless card itself may be the issue as it is probably 5yrs old"

What model wireless NIC/adapter are you using in the PC? To find out look under: Windows Key + R > hdwwiz.cpl > Network adapters

Also how is the wireless signal strength between the PC and router? Do you have low signal or does it become low when the problem happens?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users