Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont boot, F8 doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jcameron

jcameron

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:18 AM

PC has been acting up. Restored to an earlier version last boot up. Now won't boot up at all. When pressing F8 noting happens except some beeping from the PC. Have tried holding shift down as well to no avail.

When pressing power the fans trigger but don't stop. Nothing appears on screen, all external devices unplugged apart from keyboard and mouse.

Please help.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

Please explain "Restored to an earlier version".  Earlier version of what?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jcameron

jcameron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

Please explain "Restored to an earlier version".  Earlier version of what?

I went back to an older restore point the last time it did boot up and suspected issues.

#4 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

jcameron,

When turning on the computer, does anything happen on the screen? Do you see some kind of OEM logo (Dell logo, HP logo, etc)?

Try this:

Upon pressing the power button, immediately start repeatedly pressing DEL or F2 to get into the BIOS. The key to get into the BIOS is different for every PC, so if DEL or F2 doesn't work, Google "how to boot [PC Model] into BIOS" to find the right key to press.

If you can boot into the BIOS, you will usually see InsydeH20 Setup Utility, PhoneixBIOS Setup Utility, BIOS setup utility displayed somewhere on the screen. This can vary depending on what PC you have.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 SuperTA

SuperTA

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

I don't think having the install disk will help, if nothing appears on the screen at boot.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

It could if you boot from the installation disc.  And you will not know until your change the boot order and try booting from the installation disc.  If you can get it to boot from the installation disc you can perform a repair installation.  From the OP's first post it appears that this is a problem with the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 16 November 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#8 jcameron

jcameron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Unfortunately I can't track down the disc. I feel I'm SOL at this point unless I take it in to a repair shop or do a fresh reimage on it.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Call you local repair shop and tell them you are going to do a repair install and need the installation for this computer and see if they will burn you a copy of the installation media.

When you use the installation disc you can access the System Recovery Options.  These include the Startup Repair, Command Prompt, System Restore, System Image Recovery, and Windows Memory Diagnosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users