Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD not in boot priority list

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sabresfan08

sabresfan08

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:10 AM

My SSD isn't showing up in my boot priority list. I've swapped the data cables and even the power cables (the SSD has a green power indicator light). Not sure what else to try here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

Is Windows installed on the SSD properly?

Are you referring to the boot list in the BIOS?

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model (if not OEM system)?

Louis

#3 sabresfan08

sabresfan08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

I've been using this computer for almost 6 years so I hope it's installed correctly! 😉
Yes the boot list in the bios will not show the SSD but it does show the other 2 hds and the Blu ray drive.
I built it so the mobo model is GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3. Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

Remove the SSD...install it as a secondary drive in a different system...see if it can be read and accessed properly.

If it can, I would be inclined to check for other hardware "errors" or situations that might have been due to a failing CMOS battery.

Louis

#5 sabresfan08

sabresfan08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

I did notice the time was off in the bios(the date is correct). I didn't think the battery was the problem because it recognizes the other drives. Am I wrong with that thinking? I'm going to try another PC later and see if it works.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

A failing CMOS battery provides several clues, IME.  The clock/time display is only one clue and it's not necessarily the most important clue.  IME, sudden unexplained configuration problems...hardware errors...or anything that seemingly arises out of the blue and impacts hardware components...may indicate a failing CMOS.  Considering that the price of a new battery is well less than $5...it's well worth a try to neutrlaize/resolve whatever may be amiss. IMO.

Louis

#7 sabresfan08

sabresfan08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

When I plugged it into another PC it won't boot to that drive. It's an ocz SSD and there's a green light on it which I assume indicates power but the other PC wouldn't recognize it and I couldn't access the bios to see if it was in there. Not sure but it seems like maybe it's corrupt

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

I stated that it was to be a secondary drive...not a boot drive.  I would not expect a boot drive from a different system...to work in another system...as a boot drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users