Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site viewing not private when using VPNs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

Going to innocuous sites using the latest Tor browser I get the warning pop up message that anyone can see what you do here.

Why is that and is this always the case with VPNs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

Can you show a picture of the error you are getting? If you are routing your traffic through the VPN, then by it's nature, it can't be anonymous. 

"Because the traffic goes through the VPN, and then to the Tor network, exit nodes can still watch your traffic unencrypted. Also, if the VPN provider is logging traffic, then using a VPN won't be too much different from just using your ISP."

https://thetinhat.com/tutorials/darknets/tor-vpn-using-both.html

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for that.

I made the confusing mistake of calling Tor a VPN. In my case I was using only Tor, not with a VPN.

There was no 'error' as such, just that message. So using just Tor, can the exit nodes still watch traffic - I assume so, no?

The link has interesting info. - thanks.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

There was no 'error' as such, just that message. 

What message? Can you copy/paste it or post a screenshot? Does it say " anyone can see what you do here" verbatim?

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:19 AM

Ok, I'll see if it comes up shortly.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

I can't seem to post screenshots with Snipping tool, thousand islands thru Paint etc. so here is the a text I get when viewing a commercial clothing sale site, www.premierman.com :-  (Message not quite the same as before I think)

"Connection Not Secure

Your connection to this site is not private. Information you submit could be viewed by others like passwords, messages, credit cards, etc."

Edited by zzzz, 18 November 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

That is a message warning you the site isn't using HTTPS. HTTPS is like HTTP but Secure. That security is encryption. Only sites that begin with HTTPS://example.com will use that encryption. You want HTTPS so people between the Tor exit node and the server can't see the traffic. So it's not that HTTPS isn't working with Tor(VPN), you just aren't going to sites that use it. IE if you try to sign into the site, it DOES use HTTPS.

See here for a good layout of using Tor and how HTTPS protects you. Take note that it is interactive, changing as you click on the Tor and HTTPS buttons.

Edited by Trikein, 19 November 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for that explanation and that link - I'm better informed now - much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users