Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding on ram (compatibility help)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys I have a custom-built rig from a few years ago.  I am not super tech savvy in terms of the hardware, had components suggested but put the tower together myself.

The lab computer at my work just got a ram upgrade and left 2 4gb sticks up for grabs so I was hoping to try them out on my home pc since I am only running 4gbx2 at the moment leaving 2 slots open.

My pc is running http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//p8z68-v-pro-gen3

I took a pic of the two ram sticks that I can include or just type up the details, they are both DDR3 but I know that is not enough to mean they will be compatible.

I tried just installing them in the open slots but nothing came up on the monitor after starting the computer.

Then I removed all of them and tried running it with the 2 new ones from my lab.  It started up but went immediately to an ASUS screen saying that my overclocking failed and I needed to reconfigure.

So I reverted back in the meantime hoping to get some clarification.

I'll provide any further information necessary, I appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:37 AM

Those modules are exactly what? Picture from module where label is clearly visible or text from label or...?

#3 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

Label/text are clearly visible.  http://m.imgur.com/gallery/JW5D9

Edited by blitzjg, 15 November 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Both are DDR3-1600/PC-12800. However left one is rated 1.65V and right one is 1.35V.

Intel does not officially support more than 1.5V.

What I suggest is that you first put left modules, underclock RAM to 1333 MHz, put looser timings (higher numbers) and lower voltage to 1.5V. Then put right modules. That way BIOS should not get SPD timings from left modules.

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Will that enhance my pc's performance or lower it?  I don't necessarily need more ram for anything but it was a "well if its available why not install it" kind of thing.

Also I don't know if I mentioned but the ram on the left is what my tower has been using, the right modules are the new ones from my work.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

Slower memory will cause little (few percentage) slowdown.

Guessed that one. Problem is that 1.35V memory may have problems with much higher voltage. But if you have no use for extra memory, then it's up to you if you want to try tweaking or stay with what you already have.

#7 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

So slower memory at 16 GB will affect performance more than faster memory at 8 GB?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

It just depends on how much memory you are using.

#9 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

It just depends on how much memory you are using.

Like how much/how many tasks I'm asking the computer to do at one time?

is there no way to figure whether 8 gigs at X speed is better than 16 gigs at Y speed?

Edited by blitzjg, 03 January 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

Ya benchmark in your favorite apps/games with a round of synthetic benchmarks.

A CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and looking at memory use when running whatever it is were talking about would shed some light on the topic as well.

#11 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Ya benchmark in your favorite apps/games with a round of synthetic benchmarks.

A CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and looking at memory use when running whatever it is were talking about would shed some light on the topic as well.

Not really sure what your saying here besides that I can view my memory usage through task manager..

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Your asking about adding more ram and if it will speed things up, were saying it only helps and maters if you need more, so load up some stuff and check memory useage to see if adding more would lol.

#13 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Your asking about adding more ram and if it will speed things up, were saying it only helps and maters if you need more, so load up some stuff and check memory useage to see if adding more would lol.

Well my thought process was why not have more, and for that purpose lets assume I would only need 8 except on extreme occasions, but as mentioned I would have to undo the overclocking of the 8 gigs currently installed (and since I don't exactly know what overclocking does I don't know if one setup is better than the other)  

#14 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Well my thought process was why not have more, and for that purpose lets assume I would only need 8 except on extreme occasions, but as mentioned I would have to undo the overclocking of the 8 gigs currently installed (and since I don't exactly know what overclocking does I don't know if one setup is better than the other)  

What do you usually do with your computer and how many monitors are you using?

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

I understand you just want more, well in that case just sell or keep the old stuff and just get 8x2gigs compatible ram for your board O_o

What did you say your motherboard was ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users