Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - recovery required

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 roscoep54

roscoep54

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'm receiving the blue screen of death - it says:

The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
File: \EFI\MICROSOFT\boot\BCD
ERROR: 0xc0000034

Then if I select ESC it goes to UEFI firmware settings. I don't know what to do. I tried I
Using the windows recovery USB but can't get to run from that.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

In UEFI bios there are security options to turn off safe boot and enable legacy boot, otherwise you cannot boot from USB or CD. Once you boot into your USB or CD perform a automatic startup repair. Not sure what trashed your BCD.

#3 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

ok, so i disabled secure boot and enabled Load Legacy option and it still doesnt work.  i usb drive has the system image i made after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary version.  

Edited by roscoep54, 14 November 2016 - 09:57 PM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:14 AM

Some usb flash drives may not support being a boot device. Did you check the boot options so that the USB is the first boot device? Does the bios have a F-key during boot to select a boot device? Try tapping F8 or hold shift and tap F8 to get into Recovery.

#5 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

using the F keys am able to get into the troubleshooting area but its not recognizing the system image on the usb to recover the system image.  system restore doesnt work.  startup repair attempts but cant complete.  c command prompt is an option  but I dont know what to do with that. The reimage option allows you to select USB but it asks to install a driver for the device attached to the computer - its like its not able to access the system image on the usb.  

any help is greatly appreciated.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

Using the command prompt and the following guide see if rebuilding the BCD works. Pay attention to your volume letters. The guide is for 8 but the steps are the same for 10.

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

Edit: Using the diskpart list volume command your EFI partition will be shown as having a FAT32 file system.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#7 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

ok, am now able to get into windows instasllation.  its not lertting me choose the upgrade option because it doesnt recognize an operating system.  So I select the advanced option and it doesnt let me select any of the existing partitions - and *New is greyed out.  Not sure what to do now.l

#8 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

just saw this, John C -= wiill try that first.

#9 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

tried repairing the BCD but didnt work - any other suggestions?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

Consider doing a reset with the option to keep your files. All programs will need to be reinstalled.  I am not sure if the reset option is available from the install media or you USB recovery drive.

You can also create new install media using the Media Creation Tool but you first need to backup your personal data. You can do this by either attaching the drive to another computer via an enclosure or USB adapter. If that is not feasible you can backup your data to an external drive using a live linux distro.

If you still have an OEM factory reset partition you could revert to the day you purchased it. If the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 you could also revert to it as the key is embedded in firmware and would auto activate once online. Windows 8 media creation tool

From your problems including your post where an OS was not found it's possible the drive is failing. You can create a bootable disk of UBCD to check the drive but you would first need to disable SecureBoot and enable Legacy or CSM boot. Boot UBCD and select Parted Magic. At the desktop select DiskHealth and do the short/long tests. Burn the iso in any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and select Burn Disk Image.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you do not have a CD available to burn the iso I can post instructions on using a flash drive.

#11 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:52 PM

OK, I'm getting it to read the Media creation USB.  I'm gettiing stopped after selecting the reset installation with all my files (have a good backup).  Am attaching error message in the file attached. I'm not sure what driver its looking for.......

I tried the other option and it wont allow me to select any of the drives/partitions.  New is greyed out.  I'll worry about that if we cant figure out what driver I need to complete the installation.

When I tried to rebuild the BCD, it said all the drives were "healthy", fyi.  In the meantime I'm scoping out new laptops :)

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? That windows usually opens when the OS cannot detect which storage controller chipset the computer is using.

If a Dell tap F12 at boot for diagnostics. If an HP tap Esc at boot and run the diagnostics.

#13 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

ok, i'm in the ePSA Pre-boot system.  my hard drive is failing test.   :((

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

Makes sense now. The drive needs to be replaced. You may be able to recover your data with a live linux disk. If you need to recover any data off the drive to a USB external post back and I can give instructions though the drive may be at a point where recovery is not possible.

#15 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

thank goodness its backed up  - thanks for your  help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users