Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mario909

mario909

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hello all,

I want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Win 10 and I just have a question. Can I still do the upgrade to Windows 10 without having to pay for the Windows 10 operating system or am I too late?....And should have done the upgrade when they were giving away the free upgrade.

I think I heard somewhere that there might be a way to still get the free upgrade, but i'm not sure.

What do you guy's think? 

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2016 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

The deadline for free upgrades to Windows 10 on machines that were running Windows 7 through 8.1 closed as of the end of July.  There are exceptions for users of assistive technology, but that requires vetting from Microsoft.

If you're the typical computer user you now must buy a Windows 10 license key if you wish to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows.  (Unless you upgraded earlier, rolled back, and wish to reverse your decision.  Once a Windows 10 license has been activated for a specific machine it remains valid for that machine and you can upgrade again later.)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

Ok Thanks for your reply....I kinda figured I was out of luck and would have to buy a Win 10 key.

Thanks again.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:51 AM

As far as I am aware (I did one yesterday) if you need the Assistive technology then go ahead and do the upgrade it will work. No checks were done.

Usual things apply as with any upgrade...uninstall any AV first, back up important docs etc. (or better still just make a system image)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

As far as I am aware (I did one yesterday) if you need the Assistive technology then go ahead and do the upgrade it will work. No checks were done.

Usual things apply as with any upgrade...uninstall any AV first, back up important docs etc. (or better still just make a system image)

But are you legally licensed?

I know that one can easily upgrade the machine to Windows 10, but not such that it will run for very long without a valid license key being provided.

If you look in the Update & Security settings, Activation pane, you can determine if your copy of Windows 10 is licensed and activated.  If it's not then I would suspect that it will stop working once some set period passes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

What do you mean am I legally licensed?

If I am doing it from a Win 7 machine that is fully activated there is no problem.

I suggest you read here

http://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

What do you mean am I legally licensed?

If I am doing it from a Win 7 machine that is fully activated there is no problem.

I suggest you read here

http://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-from-microsofts-accessibility-site/

Well, this is new information that I've not even seen shared on the blind technology related sites that I participate on (though I am sighted I tutor things like JAWS, ZoomText, etc.).

I had not realized that Microsoft was allowing this via "the honor system" and I certainly hope that those who would not qualify do not exploit it, or those who do need it, and needed the extended time to transition to Windows 10, will end up out in the cold.  This is actually very good news as far as I'm concerned.

#8 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thank you guy's for your replies....So I guess there is hope for me after all.....And yes, I do have a valid copy of Windows 7 and it is activated. I just had one question though.

All the video's I saw on Youtube say once you upgrade to windows 10, then once it is activated, do a fresh install using a DVD copy of windows 10....that will make sure your Operating system is stable....is that correct. 

thanks.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Mario,

Whether or not you have a valid copy of Windows 7, the offer for users of assistive technology does not apply to you unless you actually use assistive technology, whether Microsoft's built in accessibility features or third party things such as screen readers, magnifiers, etc.

I am begging anyone who is not an AT user not to use this offer, which is being handled on the "honor system" obviously, if they are not a part of the target audience.  Microsoft could pull the offer, or make the "proof of AT use" provisions much more stringent, if there are far more downloads via that channel than what they know to be statistically expected.

As to the reinstall after upgrade, some do, some don't.   I'm in the don't camp.   I work with the upgraded system and if I am having no stability problems I have no reason to go through that extra step.  If I have a system that is having stability problems then I do.  I can say, though, if you know you're upgrading a Windows installation that is already wonky in ways that you recognize, then I would immediately do a Reset with "keep my files" option just so you get a new copy of the OS in its entirety and that any even possibly suspect applications get removed (and a list generated of what's removed) as part of that process.

#10 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

Ok, thank you so much for your input, it is much appreciated.....have a nice day. 

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:49 AM

@britechguy

The cynics amongst us have presumed that Microsoft left this door open deliberately.

It's been open for months now and I know loads of people who have used it.

#12 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

Opera thank you so much for that link....I followed the directions and was able to upgrade to Windows 10.

Also as it activated with no problem. Once again thank you, you're the man. 

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:03 AM

Opera thank you so much for that link....I followed the directions and was able to upgrade to Windows 10.

Also as it activated with no problem. Once again thank you, you're the man. 

Glad to hear it all went well for you :)

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

Post #7 and post #11

Much as I would not exploit the upgrade opportunity myself, what with being someone who cannot stand win 10, and much as I would advise others not too (on account of my suspicion that they would not like windows 10 upon getting it and by not even trying to upgrade they wouldn't risk any difficulties nor risk the difficulties in going back if they have to), I strongly suspect ms does want people to exploit that opportunity. All I can say is that if they'd done this in the first place a quiet "pst, you know you can get...", whispered in the ear and passed around as word of mouth... rather than unleashing GWX upon the world they would have got a lot more people to upgrade in total in the long run.

Edited by rp88, 02 December 2016 - 09:02 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 MasterChief86

MasterChief86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:51 AM

The free option stood till July 2016. Anyone willing to migrate to win10 will have to pay to get their hands on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users