Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event ID 41 (63) Restart Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tajmihelic007

tajmihelic007

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hi there.

I hope this post finds you well.  I have an MSI GT783 laptop that keeps restarting during use at random times and giving me an Event ID 41 code in event viewer. It is definitely not overheating. I have watched in HWMonitor as it has restarted and CPU temps do not go over 60c and GPU temps over 35c. There is no BSOD, just like someone flips a switch and it powers off and restarts. This problem has been going on for almost a year now.

Here are my specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor Genuine Windows® 10 64bit 17.3" Full HD Anti-reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080) NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M discrete graphics (DDR5 2.0GB VRAM) Accelerated performance with MSI TDE Technology Full-color programmable backlit keyboard by SteelSeries MSI Cooler Boost Technology Dynaudio Premium Speakers w/ Subwoofer 128GB SSD + 750GB HDD(7200 RPM) 16GB DDR3 system memory Blu-ray Disc burner USB 3.0 for high speed data transfer HDMI 1.4 (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output Built-in 720p HD webcam Built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN Card

Here is the Event Log and also attached.

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category
Critical    11/14/2016 6:50:19 AM    Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power    41    (63)    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

What I have done so far

1. Swapped RAM and MemTest all RAM (checked good)

2. Swapped SSD Drives (problem persists on new install drive)

3. Booted from USB Linux Drive (no restart under this condition)

4. Booted in Safe Mode without battery attached (no restart under this condition)

5. Booted normally without AC Adapter connected, battery only (no restart under this condition)

6. Disabled Fast Boot (problem still persists)

7. Removed Slave HDD (problem still persists)

8. Reinstalled frest Windows on OS Drive (problem still persists)

Seems like the restart happens under Normal Boot Conditions and with or without battery attached. I can run Linux forever on a USB drive and there is no restart. Same thing in Safe Mode.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? This is driving me crazy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tajmihelic007

tajmihelic007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have a new charger on the way. Also, I changed the Power service to auto start, which produced no change in behavior

#3 tajmihelic007

tajmihelic007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

Brand new charger and still the same issue.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding, just not enough time in the day :(

Try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Beyond that, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tajmihelic007

tajmihelic007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hey there. Thanks for the response. I have been extremely busy and its been hard getting back to this. The perfmon report would not work in Safe Mode. I have however zipped the Event viewer files and have them attached.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

I get notified by email when you reply to this topic - so take your time, there's no rush on my end.

I don't see the logs attached.

If you're having trouble attaching them, you can also upload them to a free file hosting site (such as OneDrive) and then post a link to them here.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users