Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing hyphen, black screen, won't boot

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

Dell Inspiron 1440 Windows7 64bit

SSD~18months ago due to drop on floor, damaging original HDD

Was working yesterday. Did update of 3 important items, did restart, then left house. Wife didn't use the laptop or turn it off. Appeared to be off this morning.

Push start button, Dell logo appears, F2Setup F12BootOptions appear lower right corner, blue line advances as if starting, doesn't make it all the way then screen goes black after 2 seconds, flashing hyphen remains constant in upper left corner. External mouse, arrow/enter/backspace buttons work in F12

Ctrl Alt Delete starts over.

Pushing F12 within 2 seconds  brings up black screen with white text which offers boot device options:

Internal HDD - selection brings back flashing hyphen screen

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive - ditto

[blank space]

BIOS Setup - 8 menu list items with sub items which open to right of screen, many with options to click (I haven't selected any to change)

Diagnostics - blue screen/white text Ran diagnostics tests; no diagnosis offered. No change in symptoms

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

Remove the battery and power adapter, press the start button and hold it down for at least 30 seconds.

Replace the battery and power adapter, restart the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

Remove the battery and power adapter, press the start button and hold it down for at least 30 seconds.

Replace the battery and power adapter, restart the computer.

It beeped several times then went into the Diagnostics Pre-boot System Assessment which it ran earlier.  Should I allow that to continue?

#4 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Symptoms remain.

Note: I am unable to do an F8 safe mode.

Edited by taly, 14 November 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#5 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Would it be helpful to Load Defaults in the BIOS?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

No, I don't; never did. The SSD install was done by a local tech guy, to whom I no longer have access.

I do, however, still have the series of numbers which I needed to enter in order to validate the laptop, if that is possibly helpful.

By the way, I do have an installation disc from an HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit.

Edited by taly, 15 November 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

Sound like you have hardware error it could be anything try starting your computer with only battery power. If that wont work power on your laptop with only AC adapter connected. If the issue not resolved then we will know issue is not cause by AC adapter and battery. If you can take out SDD drive and test your computer to see if it powers on normally if not then issue could be faulty memory. You can test system memory if you have more than one memory installed take out one memory and power on your laptop do the same with other memory to find out which one is faulty also try different memory slots. Before working inside laptop please read my tutorial about Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) protection.

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Please do the following.

1) Turn on the computer.

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 for Boot Menu Options.

3) Select Diagnostics and press enter.

4) Run a Full Scan.

#10 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Please do the following.

1) Turn on the computer.

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 for Boot Menu Options.

3) Select Diagnostics and press enter.

4) Run a Full Scan.

I did that once already and it didn't find anything. I could try that again tonight, or something else if you'd like .

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

There is a Repair Installation that I would like to have you run, but you will need a installation disc for this version of Windows 7.  You might try calling your local computer repair shop/s to see if they would be willing to burn you a copy of the operating system.  Just tell them that you have a friend who will walk you through a Repair Installation and run a few commands through the Command Prompt.

#12 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

I have the discs which came with a similar laptop from HD; the one in question is Dell. They are both Windows 7 64-bit. Will that work?

#13 fullrevi

fullrevi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Remove Power Adaptor 

and Battery 

Remove the battery and power adapter

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

I have the discs which came with a similar laptop from HD; the one in question is Dell. They are both Windows 7 64-bit. Will that work?

Are they both Home or Pro?

Are these installation discs or a recovery disc?

Edited by dc3, 16 November 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#15 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

Are they both Home or Pro?

Are these installation discs or a recovery disc?

I don't know for certain until I get home tonight at 9pm EST; I think they're both Home. There are two discs, one is installation , the other I don't know.

If they are the the right versions and the right disc should I proceed or wait until I hear from you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users