Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do new windows 10 laptops come with Office?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RogerASTM

RogerASTM

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

Ok, so I just purchased a new ASUS laptop and was told I need office 2016. I come home, enter the pin and downloaded the program only to receive a '64 bit office already installed, not compatible with 32 bit' (not word for word but that was the jist of it). Much to my surprise I find the computer already had office installed out of the box. I go back to the store and the guys are not to sure what to make of it (they are clueless at best to be blunt), however one did say it was probably a 30 day trial version and I just needed to uninstal the trial version and then download the bought for version. Question for me is: does such a thing exist?

Edited by RogerASTM, 14 November 2016 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

You only get a full version of Office if pay for it. If the laptop comes with Office 2016 in the price then you will know it. It definitely sounds like the trial version is installed, which tends to come with every copy of Windows 10.

In order to install a full version of Office you must remove the trial version completely. 

#3 RogerASTM

RogerASTM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

How can I tell if I have the trail version or a pre-installed full version?

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Typically if you launch it will state it's a trial, or if you go to the Programs and Features control panel it will say the entry for Office 2016. If not try double clicking it and it should say. It may also say it is a trial in the All Apps section of the the Start Menu.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

What you need to decide is if you want a one time payment for an office suite or the yearly subscription model. It is likely the 'office' bundled with your new computer is access to the yearly subscription model. What you purchased was a one time payment version. They are two different versions.

See: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-the-difference-between-Office-365-and-Office-2016-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 RogerASTM

RogerASTM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:16 PM

Thanks :) its probably the monthly fee version. I will read it over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users