Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed please.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Skofab

Skofab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hi Guys

this is my first post on this forum. Please forgive me if my question has been asked and answered many time before. :scratchhead:

I am trying to make sense sorting out a Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC which belongs to a friend. (Long time since I used windows XP)

Having recovered all functions and data etc - I am left with just one baffling item to overcome.

I just cannot install any free AV program on this PC. I can it seems download the program, and start after clicking on run - it starts and comes to a quick halt with no further notifications shown. I know that he used avast in the past, so I thought that I would clear any remaining leftovers by using avastclear.

Once again, I confirm run - it starts and then disappears!

Any thoughts, advice, help much appreciated. This is an old Athlon XP processor that lacks SSE2 instructions. Nevertheless, less Avast has run on this machine before.

EDIT

cannot install AV from a usb stick or cd either. Note that one of the previous problems was the malware Bitable.com

Edited by Skofab, 14 November 2016 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

There is no reason to use Avast...try downloading/installing Microsoft Security Essentials.  Many 3d-party developers have pulled their support for XP.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201, the x86 version is for 32-bit.

Louis

#3 Skofab

Skofab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hello hamluis

many thanks for your interest and reply. Tried the link you supplied, but ended up with the message "your version of the windows operating system is not supported by this programme"

Again thanks for your help - keep the ideas coming chaps.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

I have an old XP computer with an Athlon XP processor and use 360 Total Security. I would recommend you uninstall avast again and use the avastclear utility in safe mode. After running avastclear download AutoRuns and remove any avast entries. I don't know if the new version of avast works with a CPU without the SSE2 extension. You may want to head to the avast forums for that question.

If you do decide to use 360 Total Security only run the PatchUp entry in Tools. Avoid speedup and the registry cleaner. Cleanup is similar to CCcleaner.

There is also 360 Essentials without all the bells and whistles but it is not updated as often as the full version. AVs for XP are going to be harder and harder to find.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

I found an MSE install that was geared towards XP.  I don't know the original URL.  And even though it's only 8MB, we are not allowed to "post it" here.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Skofab

Skofab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello again everyone

To hamluis - ."try downloading/installing Microsoft Security Essentials" - worth a try, but got message that this was not supported on my version of windows XP Pro 32 bit. 

To JohnC_21 - I couldn't uninstall Avast because it would not install in the first place + I could not run avastclear (see original post)

HOWEVER many thanks JohnC_21 - for making me aware of 360 Total Security. This program installed instantly with no problem.  I feel this will be ideal for the owner/user of this PC.

So, result - thanks to all for your interest and taking the time to help me out on this one.

regards

Skofab

Edited by Skofab, 14 November 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Sorry, I thought avast was already installed. Glad 360 Total Security worked. If the computer has enough ram I would enable the bitdefender engine if not already enabled. I have found 360 Total Security has very good behavior detection. When I did a clean install of XP SP3 it quickly picked up all necessary security updates, over 100, and installed them without a problem. 

Edit: You can enable Bitdefender by clicking on Virus Scan at the left and then the "B" icon in the lower window.

Customizing the program is available by clicking on the Protection Icon and then configure but I have found the default Balanced setting sufficient. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#8 Skofab

Skofab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

Hi JohnC_21 once again.

Thanks for the additional comments. Its an interesting program, with much to tweak and configure - & will prove ideal for my friend (PC owner) who without realising it, was running without an AV - thus letting in many many trojans + Bitable.com which played havoc.

Bitable.com is a nasty uninvited guest, and in takes over so many features and causes mayhem and changes settings.

At first I thought bitable.com was a legit addition of his choice, but soon got wise to the fact that this was his main trouble.

PC now healthy - so thanks once again to providing the last piece of the jigsaw (360 Total Security) to finalise repair.

Skofab

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

I'm using Panda - free version - and seems to work pretty well and has a good rating by independent labs for XP users.

Edited by pcpunk, 15 November 2016 - 12:01 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 Skofab

Skofab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

AN INTERESTING UPDATE  - to my problem.

I did successfully install 360 total security. After further thought, I still did not have an answer as to why the other av programs would not install. I tried again

Bitdefender - no go. Avg - no go. Avira - no go. Avast - no go.  All started to 'run' then stopped almost immediately, with no notifications at all.

This time I tried to install Panda (Hooray that I did) - like the others, it started and stopped again BUT this time a notification showed to the effect that there was a problem with windows .net framework, further It presented a button with option to fix. This I did, and all the latest net framework software was installed. When completed, the Panda program installed without further problems.

How lucky was that. Just thought that you would be interested to know the outcome.

I have now removed the 360 total security program - have since read some negative comments about this program, in particular its alleged information gathering capabilities.

Again my thanks to all for your help

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

I'm no computer genius, but you need to FULLY Uninstall ANY other AV Programs before installing another.  Perhaps this is what you are saying you are doing.  There are special Uninstall Software to use for each Brand.  Some of them come with Uninstallers, and you can even get some of them here at bc.com, in the downloads section.  And, a restart will also be needed before installing another.

Here is the Uninstall Process that you could have used for 360 Total Security

Good luck with Panda!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Skofab

Skofab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hi pcpunk

thank you for your thoughts - but you have overlooked the fact that none of the programs installed in the first place.

I did however as a precaution manually go through the registry to remove any scraps of the mentioned programs. Although some of the removal programs 'do a job' - in my experience they leave a lot to be desired, hence my manual purge of the registry.

Panda OK to date - only first comment is the slowness of any scan. On my own PC's, I use webroot which is amazingly fast.

Thanks again

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Hi pcpunk

thank you for your thoughts - but you have overlooked the fact that none of the programs installed in the first place.

Panda OK to date - only first comment is the slowness of any scan. On my own PC's, I use webroot which is amazingly fast.

Thanks again

Yes perhaps, but you never know what was installed prior, and not removed properly.  It looks like you've taken care of that now.

Scans may be slow do to CPU-RAM? hmm.  Panda should run pretty good, pretty light weight if I remember right.  You are using an old 32bit system, so I would not expect too much.

Good luck!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users