Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In BIOS, Hard Drive Only Shows Up Properly in Boot Override

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Calmoon

Calmoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

Maybe the title is a little confusing, I don't know.

But basically, here is my problem:

One day, my computer froze and I restarted it via the power button. When it booted back up, a strange set of characters showed up instead of the usual Windows boot logo. First thing I did after seeing the strange characters was restart the computer and enter the BIOS, to check the boot order/options. The hard drive was there, but instead of being SATA, it showed up as UEFI and if I set it as the first thing to load, the characters come up. The wierd thing is that this only happens in the boot order/options. If I go to boot override instead, it shows up just fine (as SATA) and if I boot into it, Windows works. That's how I've been turning on my computer everyday for about a week, now. It's pretty damn annoying. Here are some pics:

These are the strange characters:

Attached File  1.jpg   35.74KB   1 downloads

This is how the hard drive shows up in the boot order:

Attached File  2.jpg   95.39KB   1 downloads

And this is how it shows up in boot override:

Attached File  3.jpg   71.64KB   1 downloads

Thanks to whoever tries to help.

Edited by Calmoon, 14 November 2016 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 Calmoon

Calmoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

Here:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JlaXo5218otkqakHWnUomJq

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2016 - 04:22 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Appears to me that your 298GB hard drive is overheating, while the other drive is close.  That would say to me that there is possibly poor ventilation in the system.

After addressing that...I would run Data Lifeguard long/extended diagnostic on each drive, just to reassure myself.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users