Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently switched off power during stand-by

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 brigihey

brigihey

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I accidently switched off the power of my pc while it was in stand-by. Now I only get a black screen with the cursor blinking in the top left corner. I tried switching off a few times (also remove power cord completely for longer period of time), but nothing seems to work.

There was some text the first time I put the power back on and I chose F2 because I thought that was the correct thing to do. I can't remember what was on it though. Did I destroyed my mother board now?

Thanks for helping me out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

You need to boot to the SAFE mode, but before that, check the BIOS, if unable to get into BIOS, the unit needs a default/reset to factory settings to get past the fault.

#3 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

And how do I do this?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:36 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#5 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hi Louis,

I've got a pc that was custom assembled. This is what I can tell you from the invoice (as I cannot check it on the pc itself):

Intel Core I3 Sandybridge 2100

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (rev1.1)

4 GB DDRIII

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD 80 GB Corsair

Windows 7

HD 1TB

Hope this is enough?

Brigitte

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hit the DELETE key systematically once the system completes POST...this should allow you to enter the BIOS.

Ensure that all default settngs are enabled.

I would then shutdown, turn off the power switch on the PSU...count to 10, then turn the switch ON and try to boot into Windows.

Louis

#7 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Louis,

I don't know what POST is so I started hitting delete as soon as the pc ran...maybe that was too soon because I've got a screen now that I've never seen before and is called 'Aptio Setup Utility'. I went through the different tabs but I don't see any default settings to set on 'enabled'. I do see under the tab 'M-Flash' an option BIOS BOOT function that is disabled. Do I change this or am I in a completely wrong screen?

Brigitte

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.

Do the following:

Immediately after pressing the start button start tapping on the F8 key.  (The F keys are usually the very top of the keyboard)

Keep tapping until you see the Advanced Boot Options, this will look similar to the image below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png 

Use the up or down key to move the cursor to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then press Enter to select this option.

The Command Prompt will look similar to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

If you get to this point copy and paste the command below and paste it in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

I know F8 works on my laptop but on my pc it doesn't. I also tried esc first and then quickly F8, and F3, but none of them got me to this screen. I've read that if your SSD is very quick, you can't interupt start up. I don't know if that's the case, but my pc is normally very quick so... Are there other options to get to this menu (I couldn't find them online)?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

This is a desktop, correct?  As crazy as this is going to come across, stick a usb flash drive and/or a dvd into respective slots.  And follow previous advice about getting into BIOS screen, immediately after the one quiet beep, press repeatedly the key to enter the BIOS.  I'm hoping the usb stick or the dvd will cause the computer to slow down its post/boot process enough to allow you to get into BIOS.

However if dc3's advice gets you into Windows Safe Mode -- go from there, like Hamlius, dc3 won't steer you wrong.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 November 2016 - 01:49 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

I tried but to no avail; I still get a black screen with a cursor on the left side.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

I tried but to no avail; I still get a black screen with a cursor on the left side.

I was going to recommend a bench test/rebuild; however, go with whatever Hamlius and dc3 posts.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

A bench build wouldn't be appropriate here since it was working previously.

Do you have the installation disc for your version of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 jcmack

jcmack

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

Are you using a wireless kybd. ? Try a wired one. Also try F12 on boot.

#15 brigihey

brigihey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:30 AM

F12 didn't work either.

I don't use a wireless keyboard but I do have the installation disc for Windows 7. I was hoping I wouldn't need that, because it would mean I have to install everything again, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users