Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Interface

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:58 AM

When a computer is connected to a router by LAN cable.

Why I still need internet access to open the router interface where I can change the wi-fi password … etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:25 AM

Why I still need internet access to open the router interface where I can change the wi-fi password … etc?

No you don't need if you access the router interface using the IP address http://192....

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

Don't confuse lan access with internet access.  You access the router via its assigned ip address.  In your case that would not be the internet gateway but a ip address assigned to the router for maintenance.

#4 hugeB

hugeB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:46 AM

Could anti virus software block the access to router interface?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:12 AM

Could anti virus software block the access to router interface?

Yes specially if it includes firewall or some web filtering.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

So would a IP conflict with another device that has that same IP. Make sure the ethernet is the only cable besides power that is connected to the router's LAN port when trying to access it's gateway IP. If you are unsure what IP the router uses to access it, check your IP address from Start > Run > CMD > IPconfig and look for your default gateway which should begin with a 192.168.x.x IP. 

#7 hugeB

hugeB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users