Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps overheating, and I have no idea why

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

It turns off after 30 mins to one hour of use, maybe less depending on how many programs or how intensive their are. I took it apart twice, first time I cleaned the fan with a toothbrush, then again with a cotton swab and alcohol (which was a very long and boring process).

it works a little better if I put an ice-pack on the hot part but thats obviously not a long term solution.

This picture is taken about 10 minutes after turning it on, no intense programs running. the laptop is a Toshiba satellite s50a-d, and most of the specifications are in the screenshot below.

I live in a hot place, but it's never directly in the sun and placing a fan next to it seems to do nothing to disappate the heat. I've thought about buying a cooling pad but it would be a bit waste of money if it doesn't solve the problem.

opcjcZX.jpg

Edited by accidentally, 13 November 2016 - 06:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Yes, that is running way too hot. How old is this unit, and does it have extensive use, as in a lot of gaming? Have you checked that all the case fans are running full speed? Sometimes a case fan will fail and not run, it's easy not to notice if you have the unit shut down when it's open. Also check your video card fan (if it has one).

I suggest that you check the heatsink under the CPU fan and make sure that it is clean and not clogged with dust. What I do is take the unit out on the rear deck and use a vacuum cleaner with reversed air flow and a crevice tool, and blow out the dust in the unit. Don't let the nozzle actually touch any parts, just direct the air flow.

If all else fails, you might consider re-applying thermal grease to the CPU, but do this only as a last resort.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

This may not be much help, but I experienced a similar situation last week. Ever since I bought my PC a couple of years ago, the idle temp of my graphics card has hovered between 18c to 25c dependent on the season and weather. Yet, for the first time ever last week, even browsing the internet, or using Windows (non-GPU intensive activities) had my graphics card in the mid-30's within 5 minutes of powering on my PC. For me, it was a strange occurrence, and one that was out of the blue. I also took out the old compressed air and gave my system, in particular my GPU, a thorough clean, even though I have a regular maintenance and cleaning routine every 10 days or so.

The clean didn't help a bit. Somehow I managed to narrow it down to a program I installed a couple of days earlier. Said program was uninstalled, and hey presto, the idling temp returned to the late teens / early twenties. So, as crazy as this may sound, could it be a software issue? It was in my instance.

#4 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

It could well be a software issue. The thing is I just formatted my computer like 3 weeks ago, and then this issue started a few days after that. Could be something that installed while I didn't have an antivirus.

I'll try to reformat it again as that is easier than cleaning the entire heat sink. Its a laptop so the screws holding the valve thing (heatsink?) that connects to what looks like the processer is pretty tight and I can;t take them off as easily as the case screws. I'm talking about the bronze tube in the photo below, which is not the same laptop but a pretty similar one. Actually as I type this my computer has been on for about 4 hours without turning off which is really good, but I haven't really been doing anything on it. The temperature is basically the same, core 1-4 at around 85 celsius. But maybe the program it feels hot but not abnormally so.

My computer is about 3 years old, and not very heavily used.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by accidentally, 13 November 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

It could well be a software issue. The thing is I just formatted my computer like 3 weeks ago, and then this issue started a few days after that. Could be something that installed while I didn't have an antivirus.

Doesn't seem to be the case if the CPU is not running all that much.  Do you use it on fabric where it may pick up lint, like a bed or any other dusty environment?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:04 AM

Give the reformat a go. It can't hurt, especially if it eliminates your problem if it's software related.

Other than that, I agree with the thermal paste suggestion. I'm guessing with you living in a place with hot weather, the existing stuff must degrade quite quickly. Btw, is the temp of your other components in the acceptable (for you) range?

Edited by smithee16, 14 November 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#7 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:30 AM

The HD is 40 degrees which seems fine, it's just the processor.

I'm not keeping it on a bed or my lap, I keep it on a wooden desk, and might put something under it to raise it and help with air circulation underneat but that barely helps.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

Unfortunately it may be a lot of work cleaning that one out but I think that is what needs to be done.  You say it's hot where you are, so maybe the windows are open, that would allow dust to be in the environment.  Even my house, it's cool inside and the A/C is on, but the windows are old, so there is lot's of dust that gets inside.  Not so much in my pc because the windows are closed, but can be seen every time I vacuum, Lot's of Dust!

Edited by pcpunk, 14 November 2016 - 11:54 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Update:

My coworker offered to clean it. He gave it to his buddy who opened it up and cleaned out the heatsink. I think it operates slightly better, but not much. His suggestions was to use a cooling fan and that a lot of people in Santiago de Cali have similar problems because it´s hot here and that AMD processors overheat easily. I got a cooling thing which I think made it last a little longer but in the end it still shut down.

I also feel like 95 degrees is way to high, that can´t be right. I´ll download another monitor type program to confirm. I´m going to apply thermal paste to the processor this weekend. He also suggested updating the firmware for te processor- not sure how much that will help but I feel like I´m exhausting my options.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Is this the exact model?  Toshiba satellite s50a-d.  Take a look at the Model number on  the bottom, sometimes a google search with the exact model will help.  In general I see lot's of similar laptops overheating, but most are gaming or something else.  I would also post a Speccy Chart, or something that folks can take a look at what is running, installed etc. Speccy will tell a lot.  

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Something like Mini Tool Box would help also but I don't have much experience with it.  Did you look in your Task Manager to see if there are any Processes or anything else that is running to much?  RAM Usage seems a little high depending on how much you have installed.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Yes, the model is Toshiba S50a-D

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fTRP806oTvy4ERtj7bSwk34

If the problem is this computer, then I'm really screwed as I am looking to start an online business and need something I can depend on. I might have to buy a new one, and this one will not be easy to sell especially if it has a known overheating problem.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

He gave it to his buddy who opened it up and cleaned out the heatsink. 

Yeah...but who knows exactly what he did?

Do you have a link to the exact notebook?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I can't be sure... but at the same time, it didn't seem like there was much doubt about what could possibly be the problem...I would do it myself but as I think I mentioned the screws on the heatsink are very tight and I can't remove them.

the notebook would be this one http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/toshiba-satellite-s50d-a-10g-1255510/review

Although it says s50d-a-10g, it seems there might also exist a s50d-a-10h, I don't know the difference. in any case the specifications match up to mine,

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

I wonder if you have accepted all Windows 10 Updates etc.   And if there is a bunch of junkware installed by the OEM, there are many things at play here, hopefully someone with more knowledge will step in.

One idea would be to create a Linux Live DVD or USB and boot from it to see how it runs.  Don't know if you have the resources to do that or not, but it would eliminate any OS issues.  The Linux system I'm using now has a tool to monitor cpu temps built in so you could easily monitor it while at idle.  Do you have access to another computer to download a Linux OS and  burn it to a DVD or USB?  

Otherwise I can't find any good info with google, so think you still need to check the Task Manager for running processes, because to me, I saw 44.9% RAM being used, out of 8GB that is a lot if you are at ide.  Maybe windows update is running or stuck searching for updates.  This should cause more cpu usage but these things need to be checked anyhow.  I wonder if you did a Hard Reset if that would help.  Either way, running from Linux would tell you right away if it is hardware or the OS, including software.

Edited by pcpunk, 01 December 2016 - 10:03 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

Hmm, you have Windows 10 Home 32-bit installed but have 8GB of RAM.  Did this pc come with Windows 10?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users