Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case power button doesn't work after being shut off for a while

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

Unfortunately it takes time to actually replicate the problem, but when I leave my computer turned off for a few hours it seems that when I come back it will not power from the case power button unless I flip the power supply switch off for a few seconds. I've not really tried picking the issue apart yet but any direction you can give me would be great. Beyond this, everything seems to be working normally.

In the event that this happens, the motherboard appears to still be receiving power, as I think the on-board power switch LED was still lit, as well as the mouse LED and the External drive LED. I'm going to shut it down before going to bed and boot it up in the morning. If the fronts switch fails again I'll try the on-board switch, if that works then I suppose I'll know that the issue is with case power switch or the motherboard's communication with it.

Update:
I left the computer shut down for approximately 3 hours (8:30PM-11:30PM) and it failed to power on either by pressing the case button or the on-board power button. I flicked the power switch on the PSU and waited until the LED on the motherboard faded. I then heard a small audible click.

I am not sure what steps to take from here. I'm sure it would help if I had a spare PSU sitting around that I could test in the rig, but I do not.

It seems like I simply cannot catch a break when it comes to working on computers.

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Case:  Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handle SGC-2100-KWN3 Black

PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 7 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 220-G2-0650-Y1

Motherboard:  ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards

CPU:  Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache (BX80662I56600K)

RAM:  Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K4G4D240FSB (Gray)

SSD:  Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD1

Secondary Hard Drive:  WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2016 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

I would uninstall current PSU...and try any other.  Including the time to remove screws/reinstall screws...test should only take minutes, replacement PSU does not have to be new, only different/working properly.

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

I have seen these power supply faults too often.  What the mfgrs are doing that is causing the logic switch in the power supply to fail on so many different products.

#4 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

It'll be very disappointing if the PSU is the problem, I mean it's not like I didn't immediately suspect the PSU, but it'll still be disappointing. I purchased this particular PSU under the impression that it'd be chill, given that EVGA is pretty much the best in terms of quality and support (from what I gather) so I was actually more worried about motherboard issues. Asus makes great products for great prices but have legendarily bad Customer Service.

Granted EVGA doesn't actually make the power supplies. They just slap their label and support on them. I suppose I could put more research into the individual PSU models and where they come from next time.

Anyway, I'll be testing it this evening with my brother's PSU. It's the only one handy that would be remotely easy to remove from the tower (it's semi modular). Maybe I should just buy a spare though. Any recommendations?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

Don't spend money...until you have confirmed that you...need to spend money :).

I have extra PSUs, cable, SSDs, etc for my systems...I don't expect everyone to have such...it's simple enough to borrow and confirm before making an erroneous conclusion.

Louis

#6 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

Well. I do have to either return for refund or replacement as I've run a test with a Corsair CX750M and it's definitely a PSU issue. Turned it on and powered it off, waited from 10:30PM to 1:30AM (because I have nothing to do anyway) and it powered on normally.

Actually I'm having a hard time deciding, given that the G2 is SUPPOSED to be an excellent PSU and has EVGA's good customer support behind it.

I mean, heck, if I get a refund I'll be out $20, given that it was on sale. But then if I get a replacement, I'll be out of a computer for more than a week. Things would be easier if the local PC repair place actually had parts for sale.

Thank goodness I purchased this from Amazon. They're fantastic on returns. I've had to return a DVD an air compressor and a cyberpower PC that bricked for no apparent reason (which was the entire reason I decided to start a new build) within the last two months alone. Couple this with the laptop that randomly bricked a few weeks ago and I'm having a splendid old time.

#7 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Well evidently I did not check my timing correctly when I tested because I just received a brand new power supply and the problem persists. I guess it's the board after all. Figured I should have double-checked, but oh no, I figured this would be the solution. Oh well. Never trust your gut, I suppose.

#8 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

I was in doubt so I tested with a yet another different PSU and it worked after waiting about a 4 hour period this time. I'm gonna give it another go or two with this one. It's a very old Corsair TX750W. Needs a good dusting but it works fine.

Idunno, this all seems very peculiar. Either I got two bad power supplies that were brand new, or the test results are too random for me to get a clear conclusion without doing it over and over again. Next I think I'll try the EVGA PSU in another computer, see if it works there.

#9 Nowasky

Nowasky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

I was in doubt so I tested with a yet another different PSU and it worked after waiting about a 4 hour period this time. I'm gonna give it another go or two with this one. It's a very old Corsair TX750W. Needs a good dusting but it works fine.

Idunno, this all seems very peculiar. Either I got two bad power supplies that were brand new, or the test results are too random for me to get a clear conclusion without doing it over and over again. Next I think I'll try the EVGA PSU in another computer, see if it works there.

Did you find out what the real cause of the problem was?

I'm having the exactly same problem with an EVGA Supernova 1050G (220-GS-1050-V1) and a MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

There is no real test for a power supply other than under its normal conditions.  The reset fault is due to a faulty regulator semiconductor that has failed and is holding the power supply stage from starting until the charge dissipates.

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2016 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users