Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scoot28

scoot28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hey All,  I've never run into this issue before and I can't find a solution.  It's been a while since this has been going on but I've noticed that my IP Address is from another state starting with 45.xxx. but it should be 198.xxx.  I've tried ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/rerenew.  but nothing happens.  I've reset my computer which you know that requires reinstalling all your crap so I'm a little frustrated at the moment.  Let me know if there's something more that I need to add to better explain my issue. 

Thanks

scoot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

The 198.XXX. address is on the LAN or whats known as your home network side. The 45.XXX. is the ISP address on the WAN side.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

Are you directly connected to the modem?  If so that would explain the issue as you are receiving a public IP address from your ISP.

If you're behind a router that would raise some concerns.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

A public IP address is an IP address that can be accessed over the Internet. Your public IP address can be found at What is my IP Address page. Private IP address on the other hand is used to assign computers within your private space without letting them directly expose to the Internet. For example, if you have multiple computers within your home you may want to use private IP addresses to address each computer within your home. In this scenario, your router get the public IP address, and each of the computers, tablets and smartphones connected to your router (via wired or wifi) get a private IP address from your router via DHCP protocol.

Private IP address range is start from IP Address range of  192.168.0.0 and ending IP Address 192.168.255.255 range.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users