Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suggestions are critique new build

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 exiled1

exiled1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Long story short, I built a computer for a friend about 11 years ago, and its held up great until recently. It now requires constant attention and from what i feel, is on its last legs. I built this when i was more versed in "current" parts and was able to make educated assessments on the hardware to purchase. Therefore I am looking for people to make reccomendations on what I should purchase to build her new computer.

She uses it mostly for her home buisness, however, dabbles in 2d gaming, and java based games. (i know..)

We are looking to stay under 1000$ CDN, and build something that will last the test of time once again.

Here is the current build ideas. But i am unsure as to what is good anymore, and what is junk. so any input on what to swap, or stay away from would be great!

Case $50-100 - probably anything. Prefered to have a couple USB 3.0 ports on the front. nothing in mind, but and open to all suggestions.

Processor - $240 Intel i5 6400 (overkill? should i just go 4460? or how is the FX series now a days?)

motherboard $75 Gigabyte GA-H110M-A LGA1151 doesnt need to be fancy.

PSU -$52 EVGA 500 watt

Ram - $125 Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3

Video card $100 eVGA GeForce GT 730.

Harddrive -$150 not sure, thinking a 500gb for the main, and 1 tb for the slave. Havent decided

Media - Standard cheap $30 multidrive. 

this puts us around 850$

Im not really in the loop anymore as it probably shows. Open to all suggestions from what to change, to what i have gone overkill on vs what i am cheaping out too much on. Would rather build something solid that wont crap out quick, vs something cheap that will fly until it dies prematurely.

any and all suggestions welcomed :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

It all depends what kind of that "business" is. And are two or three monitors needed.

That should be good enough for future:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hqDsm8

Add hard drive and operating system.

#3 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

I guess i could have been more clear on that! sorry.

for business, she uses one monitor, and mostly accounting/small database programs, nothing intensive.

thank you muchly for the build on that! may i ask why you decided on the AMD fx-8320 instead of an i5? Just better for the budget?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

For single monitor and light use, even cheapest GPU is enough.

Octa core because cheaper and also for future. For example virtual machines are very useful on business use (also great way to prevent crypto ransomware crap) and they want cores.

#5 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

Since you have $1000 CDN budget, you can build a good computer that can last for some years without becoming slow.

CPU - Both Intel and AMD CPU are not bad. Intel is usually more powerful and power efficient but can be overpriced sometimes. AMD CPUs are cheaper, with more cores and high clock speed, but performance is somewhat lower than Intel. For your need i3, i5 or FX are quite good. I recommend Skylake CPU because they are newer and not so expensive.

RAM - 8GB RAM is usually enough for typical user. Unless you are gaming or multitasking, more than 8GB is not worth.

Mobo - Depend on what CPU you want. I will give you some suggestion on what mobo that you can buy.

GPU - GPU is mostly use for gaming. If you don't play high-end games like GTA V a cheap card is enough. In some cases you don't even need a dedicated one, iGPU works just fine.

Storage - I always recommend buying a SSD for your OS and a large HDD for other files. SSD speeds up your computer a lot and is no more expensive than it used to be.

PSU - It is recommended that you buy a PSU with 80+ Bronze at least. Low quality PSU can cause a lot of problems and even destroy other components.

These PCs might be good for you:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PgZpr7

You can remove the video card if you want to save the money and use iGPU.

If you want a AMD CPU you need a different mobo and memory

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/d6Kw7h

FX CPU does not come with iGPU, so you will need a dedicated GPU.

Edited by batman1234, 15 November 2016 - 09:57 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#6 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:47 PM

thanks for the reply!

Personally if it were me, i would go with the skylake i5, and integrated graphics for what she wants. But for some reason she is dead set on a dedicated gpu, plus 16 gigs of ram.

She was acutally considering some i7, 64gb ram beast because "thats what the computer guy at the store" recommended. But ended up calling me, because she ended up realizing the price tag, and i built her last one that lasted over a decade. (problem is, im pretty sure apart from upgrading mine over time, that was like last system i actually built from scratch, and therefore im way out of the loop on current tech.)

I keep reading reviews and pretty much everyone says the i5's will out perform the FX series in every aspect. However.. what are the pro's of going with AMD? i feel there should be some.

Personally i built a budget computer for myself, running an a8 5500, with 8 gigs of ram, and an old gtx 650 and 500w thermaltake psu that i salvaged from my previous computer. i feel it is more than enough as long as i stay away from heavy gaming. So i am in no way bashing AMD, but all i hear is negatives lately. any thoughts?

Edited by exiled1, 15 November 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

It is true that i5 is faster than AMD in many aspect and more power efficient, preventing the need of buying a cooler, as stock cooler is more than enough. However some i5 can be more expensive than FX and lose the ability of overclock, unless you get the K version, and you also need another motherboard.

If you do not multitasking, running multiple VM at the same time, or do some rendering and streaming, i7 and 64GB of RAM is total waste of money. Even most PC geek will not go for 64GB, and stay on 32GB only. For gaming i5 is enough, all you need is a powerful graphics card. Remember that iGPU has been getting very powerful, this is why NVIDIA no longer sell GT GPU in newer generation, to save money there is no need to buy a dedicated one.

Personally I think that the i5 PC that I recommend you is pretty good for your need.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:54 PM

makes sense.

she doesnt game, and doesnt know much about computers in general, so probably wont even dabble in the idea of VM. Also wont be overclocking.

Basically need a basic, good quality value system. so i will try to convince her of the i5 with igpu. Remove the GPU, add windows 10, and i think she will be happy with the price point.

thanks for the input :)

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:35 AM

Glad I can help. If you have any question feel free to ask me.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

As already said, 32GB and i7 is overkill and "best computer guy's in store" dudes comments can be ignored.

In terms of raw performance and usability under heavy load, i5 have no chance against FX. However it had came evident that i5 is overkill for intended use and so is FX. Not much point to discuss about that.

Talking about quality, all Intel Skylake CPUs are pretty much crap. Intel decided to make CPU's break faster by putting crappy thermal paste between heatspreader and CPU. Enough to make all Skylake CPU's poor quality without question.

As usage will be light, much cheaper solution like A6-7600 is more than enough for CPU side. On GPU's, Intel's drivers are miles behind AMD ones. So on GPU side AMD solution offers better quality. Updated build (you may pick mATX case): http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qGvpr7

About only bad thing on that build is price. I know people that must spend whole budget, otherwise system is not good enough :)

Edited by Drillingmachine, 16 November 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#11 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

i added a few things to your updated parts list.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GTw97h

geforce 720, an extra tb 7200rpm slave, and windows 10.

that brings her closer to budget.. adds a bit of performance (that she wont use), the storage she wants, and unhides the operating system cost.

I know for a fact my a8 5500 would be more than enough for her, and i have been happy with it. it craps out on new games (my video card is probably partially to blame) but for everything else it seems solid.

so if im understanding correctly. in a nutshell,  AMD for longevity and office, i5 skylake for a cheapish gaming rig that you expect to upgrade/replace as new tech is needed to run the games? (obviously exceptions and not 100% true, but in this case?)

I wont be buying parts to build this for a couple more weeks, unless i find some crazy sales.. but i want to wrap my head around where the market is at right now :P sorry to be a pain in the ass.. :P

edit: instead of starting a new thread... they previous post brought up an question. I have a friend that purchased a prebuilt HP i7. 1 year old.. doesnt post. no beeps but the fans spin, tried a different PSU, ram, video card, etc. still no post, no beeps.   does this sound like a fried CPU due to the crappy thermal paste job? (it was also gunked up with dust and cigarette smoke pretty bad, to the point where the GPU fan is on its last legs)

wasnt sure if it would be a failed motherboard or failed cpu. its kind of a wierd one though, becasue it wont power on the fans if its missing the amount of ram it came with, or the video card... example.. if i pull the video card and try to use onboard, it wont power on the cpu fan, but if i put my gtx650 in instead of the one it came with, it will spin the fans. 

or same with ram.. 16gb ram, but if i pull one stick... fans wont spin. but if i put a new sticks in, it will.

Edited by exiled1, 16 November 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Changed Windows to Retail and APU to CPU http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rKDpr7

so if im understanding correctly. in a nutshell,  AMD for longevity and office, i5 skylake for a cheapish gaming rig that you expect to upgrade/replace as new tech is needed to run the games? (obviously exceptions and not 100% true, but in this case?)

Basically somewhat correct.

For another question, sounds like motherboard has problems.

#13 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the update. Is there much of a difference between those cpus apart from the increased ghz and dropping the igpu?

Also.. any idea on things to check on that i7 build that might get it to post? Or should I start a new thread on that?

Thanks again for putting up with constant changes.. lol

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

Not much. X4 is using newer architecture, it has no integrated GPU and bit higher clock speed. That's about it.

I suggest starting new thread.

#15 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

well here comes another question.. 

Would it be worth it to add on wireless internet and bluetooth to this board? or should i look at say http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jJYXsY/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a88xnwifi that comes with with it built into the board itself?

Went and looked at her office, and its a mess of wires. going with a wifi adapter and bluetooth support would help a lot with cable management, but not 100% required

Edited by exiled1, 19 November 2016 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users