Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Windows Sounds

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

I have no Windows sounds...

In Control Panel/Sound/Sounds Tab/Program Events:

For example, Empty Recycle Bin, is set to Windows Recycle.wav, but if I empty recycle bin, or use the Test button (Program Events), there is no sound.  If I play Windows Recycle.wav in a media player, it plays.  No other Windows sounds work either, i.e., Exit Windows, etc., even though they are set with a Windows wav file.

How do I fix?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

In Control Panel click Hardware and Sound > Sound > Change System Sounds. Make sure Windows Default is listed in the dropdown box then click Apply. If Windows Default is already listed click on a different theme then Apply. Select Windows Default again and click Apply.

Edit: If the above does not work then type Troubleshooter in the Search Box > Find and Fix problems > Troubleshooting Audio Playback

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I do not find a "Change System Sounds" option, but I find a drop down theme menu containing "Windows Default" under "Sound Scheme".  Is that what you mean?  Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Yes. 

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I went through every theme listed, but no change.

Troubleshooting Audio Playback gave me a choice of speakers or headphones, which both work, but I chose speakers and it said, "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem".

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

Type dxdiag in the search box. Let it run. Are any errors listed under the Sound tab? You have sound when playing music files?

Edit: If this just happened see if you have a Restore Point date just before the problem. If you added any files to the desktop after the Restore Date move them to My Documents. Any programs installed after the Restore Point date will need to be reinstalled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

dxdiag says, "No problems found."

I have sound for every other thing.  As I said earlier, if I play the Windows sound files (chimes, ding, etc) in a player, they also have sound.

A few months ago, this was a new install of Windows 7.  At the time, this was a spare machine, and although I noticed it shortly after,  I did not have much attention to it, but now it has become a full time machine, and I starting making my settings and would like it functional. 

Thanks.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

I have never run into this problem before. I will do some more research but hopefully somebody else on the forum may have some other ideas on why you can play the sound files but the sound themes do not work.

Edit: Double click your speaker in the system tray. Click Mixer. Make sure the System Sound slider is not at the low end or muted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 November 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

Have you tried using the System File Checker?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Edited by bwv848, 14 November 2016 - 10:59 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

I have never run into this problem before, either.

Whenever the system sound slider is low, or muted, there are no sounds for everything.

Because of some past issues with other machines, I do a system file check regularly.

Thanks.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

So when the System Sound slider and Speaker slider at both at maximum you still have no System Sounds, correct? I am still trying to find a cause for the problem.

Edit: If you create a new user account do you have System Sounds?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

I came across this a couple of years ago when I was booby-trapping my users computers to play My Little Pony system sounds, which I was modifying via the registry... lol

Sure enough I broke a few. Here's a simple fix that doesn't involve getting exports from other people's machines.

1. Download and install K-Lite Codec Pack version from here. You can deselect most components that you don’t need, except Codec Tweak Tool under the Tools section.
    Alternatively, you can just download the Codec Tweak Tool from here.
  2. After installed, click on Start button, then go to All Programs -> K-Lite Codec Pack -> Configuration -> Codec Tweak Tool.
  3. In the Codec Tweak Tool window, tick the check box next to [Registry] Fix non-working system sound.

codec-tweak-tool.jpg

4. Click on Next button, and your Windows no sound problem should be fixed, and working as usual.

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Sliders:

Whenever I move the sound slider from the tray, the slider in the Control Panel Sound moves the same amount. 

Yes, when it is at maximum, there is still no sound.

User Account:

Okay, yes!  A new user account is working.  Thanks.

Codec Tweak Tool:

Thanks a lot for this information, but I have had other problems within a user account before, and since there is a problem now, even though I do not know of any more at this time, I would rather ditch it to avoid any more so I am going to move all my stuff to the new working account and eventually delete the old one.

Thanks, again.

Edited by ray5450, 17 November 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#14 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

Okay, after a few days of using the new user account with Windows sounds, now there are no Windows sounds again.

Codec Tweak Tool: 

Rather than keep on making new user accounts, moving, and reinstalling, I tried this.  However, the path is not: 

All Programs -> K-Lite Codec Pack -> Configuration -> Codec Tweak Tool

...instead it is:  All Programs -> K-Lite Codec Pack -> Codec Tweak Tool

...but also, upon opening Codec Tweak Tool, it looks nothing like the image you posted.  I attached what I am seeing.

Attached File  TT.jpg   54.64KB   1 downloads

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:41 PM

This is a guess, but please change your desktop background to Windows 7. :) (The one with the Windows logo and Windows Aero.) Right-click on your Desktop, and select Personalize.

I'd still recommend your do an SFC scan as that has worked for some...

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users