Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two HD system. One HD failed. BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brotzy

Brotzy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

I have a Vista OS on a Dell. It has two hard drives and one has failed. I now get BSOD. Any way to recover this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

Can you give a model number of the Dell?

The BSOD happens at boot up? Do you still get the BSOD if you detach the failed drive? Is the failed drive your OS drive?

What stop code is shown on the screen?

#3 Brotzy

Brotzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

It is a Dell Studio Mdl#DCMA with 1.2 TB storage capacity. Startup I get error message (Screen 1)on Port 1 then it goes to password and asks for type of startup. I choose normal startup and it goes to Microsoft load screen. It loads up Vista and about 20 seconds later goes to BSOD(screen 2). If I disconnect HD Port 1 then I get screen 3 and screen 4 below. Is there a way to just go to the one Hard Drive? I do not need the storage space.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

Your attachments did not post. If a Dell tap F12 at boot and run through the diagnostics. I could not find anything on that model number. Dell Studio DCMA? The closest I could find is the Dell Studio 540 Desktop.

Is this a RAID setup?

#5 Brotzy

Brotzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

It is a RAID setup. I ran the F12 and got the following:
Error Code 0146
MSG: Error Code 2000-0146
MSG: Hard Drive 1 a self test log contains previous error(s)Attached File  image.jpeg   156.74KB   0 downloads

#6 Brotzy

Brotzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

I could not find any other numbers for Model number except sticker on side that has Dell SMT-117B. INTEL CORE 2 QUAD PROCESS

Attached Files

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,261 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

That error code indicates a failed drive. I do not have much experience with RAID but according to the below link any data on a failed RAID0 drive is gone. RAID0 is not redundant. Even data on the good drive would be hard to recover.

http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/library/raid0-recovery.aspx

RAID 0 member disk failure

Since RAID 0 arrays are non-redundant, then if one of the member disks fails, then data that was on the failed disk is lost forever. Having data from the rest of the member disks you can try to recover files. However, only the files which are smaller than (N-1)*(block size) can be recovered. Even files smaller than that limit can be unrecoverable if the part of the file happens to be on a failed disk.

So in general, if one of the member disks fails beyond repair, it is impossible to recover data from RAID 0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users