Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Update Taking Forever

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 sony12

sony12

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Unable to run any Windows Update since a couple of months and each time I go to Windows Update it takes forever and no updates were found nor installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hi:

See this post - the process worked for me on 2 systems and for many other folks.

Basic principle: manual installation of the standalone versions of KB3020369 and (most importantly) KB3172605:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631190/windows-update-stuck/#entry4118065

And these other threads:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632115/windows-7-updates-stopped-working/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621990/windows-update-taking-forever/

(Sevenforums.com has many similar threads, all with roughly the same steps.)

If that process does not work or if you are getting specific error codes, then you may have another issue.

Let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

EDIT: On the other hand, if this is the same computer as the one HERE with a BSOD problem, then you may have other issues, for sure.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 13 November 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#3 sony12

sony12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Thank you very much for your answer. I have already tried to follow the process already in place on the links and yes it is the same computer as the one with BSOD problem, unfortunately.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi:

The BSOD is the higher priority.

BSOD are most often the result of hardware problems, driver conflicts or (sometimes) malware (e.g. rootkits).

I suggest getting that resolved, one way or the other, first.

If - for example - you have bad hardware, then you're wasting your time to try to fix a WU problem.

JMHO as a non-expert.

Good luck,

MM

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

Since you have a topic open in the BSODs/Crashes forum...I am closing this topic to avoid confusion.  If the folks there cannot assist you in finding a solution...then send me a PM and I will reopen this topic and we will give it a go.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users