Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest Back Up Procedure Please to Safeguard Pics and Docs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shaytala

shaytala

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Suggestions please to safely back up and guard pictures and documents.   I use several external hard drives, desktop size and Seagate portable (which I like due to size and ease of use).    

1.  How Many Back Up Copies Should You Make of Your Saved Documents??  And Are Certain EHD's More Reliable Than Others?

Plugged in EHD yesterday to USB and got reading to the effect...."this EHD is defective...."   Pretty scary to consider my contents LOST.   Disconnected and re-inserted---same response.   Moved it to USB port on other side of my desktop----read just fine.   

2.  Using Windows 7.  How do I print out a copy of the contents indexed on the EHD?   Please be specific in the steps.

Edited by shaytala, 13 November 2016 - 12:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

No EHD drive is better than the other except for perhaps using a hardened external drive. A drive can fail at any time, The most important thing to remember is to always have your most important data, data you cannot afford to lose, backed up to two different devices, preferably with one being offsite. 

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

I have found using DVD/CDs to be the most effective method to back up.  Easily reinstalled and when matched with incremental disks, can be  as up to date as you feel necessary.   External drives are touchy and as you have seen, the USB ports are not the most reliable.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

Flash drives and USB...are making optical drive use obsolete.  I would not plan on being able to use optical drives to restore or preserve anything...in the future.

Louis

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Depending on how much you want to spend an online back service is probably your best bet.  I was using Skyhub until they abruptly folded without giving you time to get any data back.  I'm currently using Carbonite.  The worst part is the initial back up, since most ISPs limit your upload speed to a small fraction of your download.  After the initial upload things are much better.

I'm not a fan of USB drives for backup.  I consider USB drives to be fine for short term use, but would not trust my data there long term.

1.  You should follow the 3-2-1 backup plan

3 - Copies of your data

2 - Different types of media

1 - Copy off site.

2. Open a command prompt (Start \ CMD), change to the drive directory (CD E:), Type DIR *.* /S >Directory.txt this will create a text file called Directory.txt at the root of the external drive.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Don't sell usb platter-driven external hard-drives down the river just yet  :)

I've been making backups and restores using 2 dedicated "pancake" drives per computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

I'm not a fan of USB platter drives either.  I see way too many posts where the drive got knocked over or off the desk and the owner wants to recover data and normally it is no longer an option to do it yourself.

I've got a Drobo and a Buffalo NAS but mostly to play with them.  When Skyhub went belly up I copied my documents and pictures to the NAS and then went and found a replacement cloud backup.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

"...drive got knocked over or off the desk ..."  I recommend not knocking such drives over; and, placing blame on platter-driven is similar to blaming the red light after crossing through it...and ending up in an accident.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

Optical drives are cheap and currently the most reliable.  Ever since the days of tape backup, either dedicated drive units with internal interface cards to using standard VHS tapes for up to 2 GB storage, usage is the most important thing.  Unreliable methods are based upon how many transformations the data package has to go through before getting actually stored on whatever media.  Many look for speed as they want to make it as painless as possible but not always the case.  Writing a disk in four minutes is great but when it needs 40 of them, the task becomes insurmountable.  Adding internal drives offers the fastest and simplest method but not available to laptop users or even smaller "netbook" units.  That's where the cloud becomes the only real option.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

Portable SSDs, when prices come down, will be the way to go but for mission critical material I would use DVD archive disks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

One possible problem with a set of DVD backups:  if just one out of a set returns a read error from any cause, such could abort the restore attempt -- I'm not sure if even Macrium Reflect can be "told" to ignore errors; somebody let me know if such programs can bypass such an error during a mult-DVD-set restore.  

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

I use a verify program after burning each disk to insure its integrity.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

I use a verify program after burning each disk to insure its integrity.

Good idea!  And, because a read error can be generated from the computer side on ext HDs also, that's why I make two sets.  mjd, would you advise making two sets of backups on DVD-RWs?  Thanks for all your info, I'm learning from you   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 15 November 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

I learned in the early days when users only had one tape and the most common fault was the failure to verify after written and that was the users only tape.  I often make backup sets for certain stages of a build so I can get back to a known good configuration and sort out any faults with added cards or devices and drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users