Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 2TB Internal HDD initialisation and format

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm sure most of us are aware of how long it takes to do a full format of a new internal HDD (in my case, a second drive for storage). There's a plethora of topics on the internet started by people freaking out over how long it was taking to format their new large-capacity drive.

So, with that in mind I was preparing to settle myself in for the long haul. I read somewhere that I was looking at least a 7 hour stretch with the HDD connected to my motherboard via SATA (even longer via USB), so I opted for the SATA method.

Well it's been 35 minutes since I instigated the process in Disk Management, and the process is already at 22%. Should I be worried? It surely shouldn't be full formatting a 2tb HDD that quickly. Or is that par for the course, because this is the first time I've attempted this process using the motherboard's SATA connection. I did format a 1tb laptop drive via USB (in an enclosure) a couple of years ago, and that took 24 hours.

My question is: am I unnecessarily belly-aching?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

Have you selected Quick Format and no you should not be worry how fast format is completed.

Posted Image

#3 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

Have you selected Quick Format and no you should not be worry how fast format is completed.

Definitely not. I made a point of ensuring it was not a quick format. Plus, I understand a quick format of even a 2tb drive would be done by now, wouldn't it?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

The speed of the format depends on which interface the storage drive is connected SATA is faster than USB also hard disk drives revolutions per minute speed plays role on how fast your drive will be and formatted. There is also SATA standard play role on how fast your hard disk will be formatted. Don't worry everything is okay as long as new hard disk wont format.

Posted Image

#5 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. The HDD itself is a 7200rpm drive btw.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

That is good drive what is its speed?

Posted Image

#7 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Speed? 6 GB/s sata, I think.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

I may be wrong on this but if your are using SATA 3 which has a maximum uncoded transfer rate of 600MB/s and assuming a 2TB drive it calculates out to about one hour not accounting for writes to the drive. I can't see how writing would add another 6 hours to the process. I can't confirm this though.

2TB = 2000000MB

2000000/600 = 3333 sec = about 55 minutes

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#9 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Ah, see I'm completely out of the loop on such things. I just Googled various sources, and people were giving times of between 5 to 7 hours for a full format of a 2tb drive connected via SATA; much longer through USB. So, I just took those situations as a guide I suppose. :)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

I also read a blog where the writer said it would take 5 to 7 hours on SATA and over 20 using USB but I always have done quick formats as FreeBooter posted. 

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

With those specs i give it around one to two hours OP has the format finish if its how long it took to finnish?

Posted Image

#12 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

I also read a blog where the writer said it would take 5 to 7 hours on SATA and over 20 using USB but I always have done quick formats as FreeBooter posted.

Absolutely. I've come across so many of those accounts, too. People neglect to mention their other hardware and the respective speed of their drives, and just end up posting the size of the HDD in tb. Well, I have learnt something new today, hehe.

With those specs i give it around one to two hours OP has the format finish if its how long it took to finnish?

Just coming up to 92%. I started the format around 15 minutes shy of 3 hours ago. So, yes, I think we're looking at the 3 hour mark for a full format of a new 2tb drive via SATA. I can start copying over and reinstalling various things during the week.

Edited by smithee16, 13 November 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:16 AM

Three hours is not bad but if you format the HDD out site working Windows or any operating system it will be little bit faster any how everything looking good you can use the HDD after formatting finnish.

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 November 2016 - 11:17 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

I've just treated myself to a new USB 3.0 external 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' drive. I run Linux exclusively; removing all the pre-installed crap (along with the NTFS formatting), then creating two equal-sized partitions, and formatting as ext3, took around 55 mins. 

This was through a USB 3.0 adapter card plugged into a 1.0a standard PCI-e x 16 slot in a 12 yr-old Compaq desktop, from circa 2004. The drive runs at 5400 rpm. Even though it has a SATA III controller on the drive, it's a moot point, given the age of the hardware it's plugged into....!

It still transfers stuff plenty fast enough for me.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 smithee16

smithee16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

I think the excessive hours being spent on full formatting terabyte+ HDDs must be due to them being connected via USB 2.0. There can be no other explanation, surely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users