Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly Lots of Unwanted Email, Firefox Slow to Load Links

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bob3165

bob3165

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

I think this started when I went to a bank website and received a popup asking for an updated email address. I received notification of a new email right after, stating something like thanks for signing up for Scorecard. I tried contacting the company by phone, and they asked for my bank account number. I asked what bank and they couldn't tell me. Nada, you're not getting my bank or bank account number. I contacted my bank and they know nothing about this company and are investigating.

Since then, I've been getting lots of unwanted email from a variety of companies all over the world. Firefox is also slow to load links many times.

I'm using 64-bit version of Windows 10, have 8GB RAM, FF 49.0.2, use gmail.

I tried Adwcleaner and Malwarebytes anti-malware (I have the paid version, that runs all the time in the tray). Didn't find anything wrong, but problem persists.

Can someone help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:50 PM

Welcome to BC....

Just be sure not to open any email from unknown senders....that will in many cases tell the senders they have an active email address and will continue sending spam....or worse.

You may want to consider getting a new email address. Sometimes that is the only way to get off the spammers lists.

Use the programs below to clean, remove adware and to remove malware.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hi Buddy thanks for your help.

I ran CCleaner (except registry part).

Here is the result of the Junkware Removal Tool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.9 (09.30.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by Robert (Administrator) on Sun 11/13/2016 at 15:09:36.20

File System: 3

Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\mntemp (File)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna (Folder)

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on Sun 11/13/2016 at 15:12:42.60
End of JRT log

Eset didn't find anything and I wasn't offered a chance to List Threats or Export a log.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:05 PM

Suggest you install an ad blocker if you are not using one. I've used Adblock Plus for years. If you install it open it by clicking on the ABP icon

and choose Filter Preferences. UNcheck Allow Some non-intrusive advertisements.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

Block Third Party cookies from installing....aka...Ad/ Tracking cookies. Once blocked from installing....run CCleaner to remove the existing ad/ tracking cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I have ABP installed and ASNA is unchecked.

I disabled 3rd party cookies in FF (default browser). I ran CCleaner again cleaning cookies again. Was the the correct procedure?

#6 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

I was reading an article on this site about making firefox as fast as chrome, but can't seem to find it again with your search engine. Would you know where that would be Buddy?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

Yes...blocking ad cookies and then running CCleaner was correct.

I've used Firefox since its Beta release. I gave a Chromium browser a try and still have one installed...rarely used except to update it. I don't see any significant difference in the speed. I choose to allow

Firefox to delete its cache when closing Firefox. I have only a few add-ons. If you have a several add-ons but only use some of them rarely....then you can disable those until needed.

I found one site that may be what you were looking for. The Ultimate Guide to Making Firefox Faster 

#8 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Buddy,

I checked this morning and I didn't get slammed with a bunch of email. Don't know why that would be since we didn't find anything, unless it was the change in the settings you had me make. Whatever the case, thank you for your help.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

Concerning what JRT deleted....one file could be either Breakaway Audio Enhancer related or a piece of adware named SearchProtect.

The Chrome extension files deleted are the New Tab Redirect add-on.

As to the spam disappearing....could be the calm before the storm... :)....I agree that changes made most likely had nothing to do with preventing spam. Though

blocking ad/ tracking cookies in some cases....even first party cookies...can prevent spam from such sites as Amazon that you have shopped in or visited.

You're welcome....happy surfin'

Edited by buddy215, 15 November 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#10 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

May have spoke too soon. Still having trouble with some websites loading. Someone sent me this link: http://presidentpussygrabber.com/?hg=0&nr=0

It loaded in Chrome, but not in FF.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

If you saw that link in an email....you shouldn't be opening emails from unknown senders or known spammers.

If you continue to experience the slow loading of websites....which can have more than one or two causes...you can start a new topic

in the Malware Removal Forum. Sometimes malware, especially new malware, isn't recognized by user security programs. Depending

on how busy the volunteers there are, you should get a response from one in one to 4 days. Use the instructions below if you decide

to do that.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

#12 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632294/ff-not-loading-or-slow-to-load-some-websites/

#13 bob3165

bob3165
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

Thanks buddy. I know the sender of the link I mentioned. BTW, the link for the FRST tool wouldn't work in FF. I had to click at the end of the address in the address bar and hit enter to load it. This doesn't always work though.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hmmmm....this link....FRST Download Link....worked fine for me....I'm using Firefox, too.  Mention that after your new topic is responded to.

EDIT: I see you have mentioned that in your new topic....so, disregard the above.

Edited by buddy215, 15 November 2016 - 02:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users