Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to swap my PC power lead every day!..??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cheapo

cheapo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

This has been ongoing for a couple of weeks.

I switched on one day and the 'ol tower PC refused to power up. I use an anti spike plugbar and could see everything else was ok. Router, screen etc.

As it happened I had a new power lead to hand and used it for the first time to get the PC up. No probs.

Next day, PC no power up.. :scratchhead:

Put a new fuse in the old lead, even though the old fuse tested ok. PC powered up.

Next day PC no power up.. :huh:

BOGUS!

Swapped lead and PC powered up. :fumanchu:

Next day PC no power up :alien:

Swapped lead B)

Next day :wacko:

I did have 3 days where the lead swap wasn't needed, but it soon came back. :angry: :angry:

I know it seems like no biggie, and I've dismantled the plugbar and pinched up the contacts inside a bit so I have to use a little more 'push' to put the mains plugs in. So that isn't the issue. It doesn't seem to be the PSU mains connector, as unplugging and re-plugging the existing lead should fix it if a different lead also fixes it. I've tried waggling the lead plug in the PSU and hitting myself on the head with a stick. No benefit from either.

So what the :censored:  is going on?

Will my house burn down?

Any assistance is thanked in advance and imaginary donuts are a given.

Permanent noob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

Symptoms of a Power Supply Unit Failure

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

Yah, thanx FB, I've been thinking about those sort of possibilities too for a couple of days. I'll have to try and have a look at the PSU one evening this week.

It's just seems strange.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

You are very welcome, please keep us updated with result!

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

I've been getting these power supply faults for a while now, units are not shutting down properly and won't power up correctly unless the power source is removed.   Replacement is the cure.

#6 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi nova

That doesn't seem to have anything to do with my problem.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

What are you referring to as a "lead"?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

As mentioned in the first post, it's just a power lead. 3 pin UK plug on one end and 'kettle' type connector on the other.

PC is a 7 year old HP Pavillion , PSU is the original LITEON unit. I can observe it just by sliding the side panel off the tower. But I'm not going to poke about right now. I shan't be doing any stripping down of this machine till the weekend. I decided I can't be doing it on weekday evenings. I have hearing loss and severe tinnitus 24/7 which I just want to ignore when I get home, so I'll be surfing the webs and listening to music or whatever.

As a friend of Lenny Henry's allegedly told him, while declining an invitation for a football kick about, "My woman just put down some chicken on rice, and I feel like I just want to rest tonight, you know?"

Edited by cheapo, 17 November 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

No need to be snarky.  You referred to it as a "lead", not a power lead.  You need to remember that there are differences in nomenclature between our two countries, even though we both speak English.  As a retired electrician I still refer to this as line voltage.  If it has two leads (US 110v apposed to your 230V) and a plug I refer to this as a power cord.

Well... at least we know it is a HP Pavilion, but we still don't know what the model is which is important for finding specific information for this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Please allow me to assure you young sir, that any snarks or boojums were entirely misinterpreted and not my intention.  Though I did actually, really really, type 'power lead' in the thread title and the fourth line down. :thumbup2:

The replacement power cord/lead was from a recent purchase.

Ye olde HP Pavillion a6511.uk, it says on the sticker,  is a dual Athlon 64 4300 processor with 2 gig of RAM on an M2N68-LA board (Nvidia I believe) The 300W LITEON PSU is a PS-5301-O8HF

I'll mention here that the Pav powers up ok after being unplugged from the mains for around half an hour. But overnight or after approx 10 hours when I've been at work is the problem.

Now I've started lightly poking it, I realized that, of course, it has a green LED right under the external power connection. I will check that tomorrow morning when I try to boot up. If both power leads make it light up, then I guess I can presume the prob will be in the PSU.

Heh. LITEON must have had a huge grin on their corporate faces when they decided on that name! :gathering:

Are you sure you're retired? Seem pretty young to me. Deffo younger than me (31.5x2)  :wink:  and I'm still workin me soks off!

Edited by cheapo, 18 November 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#11 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

So, yes, I'm an idiot  :oneeye:  and there's nothing wrong with the power leads at all.

The led is lit from the start when I switched on at the wall this morning, but no reaction to the power button on the PC. So I switched off again at the wall, then on again. No reaction to the power button. Off again at the wall, then on again. PC powered up ok.

Third time lucky! I should have thought of that before.

Well, after at least 20,000 hours of use over 7 years, I really can't complain if the old Pav beastie is feeling it's age.

Permanent noob.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Seven years is something like sixty plus years in computer years.  Components tend to develop problems at this age.  There are large electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard which breakdown over time.  There are even larger capacitors in the PSU which have a larger impact.  As these caps breakdown the wattage of the PSU diminishes.  The hdd is an electicromechanical device which physically will eventually fail, if the suppose circuitry doesn't fail first.

It looks like you got your money's worth out of it, and then some.

#13 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:57 AM

Indeed. My oldest cat lasted 18.5 years. He saw obviously made of sterner stuff.

This morning I observed the LED during the first power up attempt. After switching off again at the wall, it took about 8 seconds to fade out. Second attempt and it powered up ok. So I'll go with that for now, and think about replacements after Xmas, if it lasts that long.

Thanx for the gen.

---------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your name seems to indicate that you're scared of rubber spiders.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of having peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.  

#15 cheapo

cheapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

I stand corrected.

I was seeing arachnids and butyl etc . . .

Peanut butter eh? It definitely never gets stuck to the roof of my mouth. It's probably my favourite thing on hot buttered toast these days!

I try to stay in the box, but can't help thinking sideways on odddays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users