Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encryption

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

Does using the built in encryption option cause any degradation in performance? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:41 AM

Do you mean full Hard drive encryption? Other than a slightly slower boot up time  ( a few seconds at most ) no.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:28 AM

Fortunately, the built in one only encrypts the /home partition, not root or Swap. :)

Unless anything has changed from the last time I installed Mint 18, 2-3 weeks back. Most any type of encryption of any OS (example, Bitlocker) will also slow the boot time, unless one has a smart card reader inserted or pressing on a fingerprint reader at the same time as hitting the Power button. And I can't promise that.....may have to wait until asked for before performing either. If performance by encryption were a widespread issue affecting many Linux users, we'd be hearing of it more, as there's more business professionals who are running Linux versus the consumer market. 

A huge example of this is the #1 Linux distro in Ubuntu (by Canonical). That corporation has field offices all over the World to get businesses to subscribe to Ubuntu, tailored to their needs. Us end users are merely testers of the professional product, by submitting bugs & making suggestions, bugs are fixed ASAP, suggestions for features are read, though may or may not be incorporated into any release. 

I have three TPM enabled devices, and all are LInux compatible, however the workarounds required made me go against the idea on Linux Mint, just use to lock down some USB drives or externals with important content with the non-Linux OS, not all that that I have, nor any partition on my computer. If I need a Linux file encrypted, will zip & send to the non-encrypted partition of the external, then encrypt when I log onto the OS with Bitlocker. 

Of course, if I were a business professional with lots of valuable data on a notebook, I'd use any encryption method available to me, which ever one I feel the most comfortable to use & will secure the data properly w/out backdoors, even at the price of a slightly lowered boot time and/or performance. :)  

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users