Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10: Crash on Sleep after being awake too long

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 turtleman579

turtleman579

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your help.

About two weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer received the Anniversary Update. When it rebooted after the update, a bunch of programs weren't working properly anymore (probably because they're old, I had some registry hacks, etc.), so I told it to restore the previous version in the Settings menu (I don't remember the exact language, and the option isn't there anymore). This just sent it into a loop where it would start booting, say something like, "restoring previous version of operating system", then reboot. It would loop like this every 15 seconds, and I left it running at least 4 hours before I gave up on it booting up again.

Since then, I got into the boot menu, backed up some of my files from the command line, then wiped the partition and reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. I've reinstalled most of my programs, moved my files back, and mostly gotten it up and running again. However, there's still one significant problem I've been unable to fix since I reinstalled Windows.

If my computer has only been "awake" for an hour or so, it goes to sleep without any problems. However, if it's been on for longer (I don't have an exact timeframe, but it always seems to fail if it's been more than three hours), it doesn't go to sleep properly.

Normally, when my computer goes into sleep mode, the screen goes dark, then after a few seconds, the lights on the Airplane Mode and Mute buttons go out, and the Power button starts slowly fading on and off. This is the expected behavior. But now, when I put it into sleep after too long, instead after the screen goes dark, the lights all stay on for over 30 seconds, then the power light starts blinking. Instead of slowly fading in and out, it goes completely dark for about one or two seconds, then flashes on for a fraction of a second. It does this four or five times, then everything turns off. When I try to wake it back up, it just boots up like it shut down.

When this happens, I get a Critical Error in the Event Viewer, "Event 41, Kernel-Power", though I'm given to understand this is a very generic error message, and the bugcode is zero. Still, I've attached the XML from the Event Viewer in case this is useful. Also attached are the perfmon and Sysnative logs from the BSOD posting instructions, although I've never actually seen a BSOD from this issue.

My OS is Windows 10, Anniversary Update, 64-bit. The full version number is "10.0.14393 Build 14393". My computer originally came with Windows 8 on it, but I upgraded to 10 as soon as I got it (the free upgrade they offered last year), and have since installed Windows 10 from scratch (I believe on Thursday November 3, 2016).

The computer is an HP Probook 450 G2 (resolution 1366x768...) laptop purchased in August 2015. CPU is "Intel® Core™ i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz". Google indicates that my computer has a CPU-integrated video card, which is just described by the computer as "Intel® HD Graphics Family". BIOS Version is 2.7, mode is UEFI.

As for my computer literacy level, I've edited the registry a few times, written a good number of C++ programs, and I can navigate the command line with some Google assistance, but clearly there's still quite a bit I don't know.

Once gain, thank you for any help you can offer!

EDIT: I should mention that this happens no matter how I enter sleep mode. It happens if I go through the Start menu, or if I use the power button or sleep button while they're configured to put the computer to sleep, and whether or not the computer is plugged in to the charger.

Attached Files

Edited by turtleman579, 12 November 2016 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

EventID 41 is simply Windows saying it was shut down, but it doesn't know why.

What we usually look for is events in Event Viewer that precede the shutdown.
If we find a pattern, then we suspect that pattern.

If we don't, then we focus on hardware type troubleshooting.

To let us have a look at Event Viewer, please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.
NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

You have problems with Acronis in the perfmon report.

Please uninstall it.  Feel free to reinstall the latest, W10 compatible version after we're finished troubleshooting.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 01.15) dates from 2015.  Please double check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 114393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 turtleman579

turtleman579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thank you very much for your help!

I've attached the zip containing Admin.evtx, as well as the folder LocaleMetaData that Event Viewer created when saving. I've also started using SpeedFan to log the temperature.

I uninstalled Acronis, which I really should have suspected had something to do with this, since it wasn't working properly after the reinstall. I also uninstalled Daemon Tools, but the provided program didn't find sptd2.sys. I'm hoping this means it was already uninstalled successfully.

There was indeed a newer version of UEFI/BIOS. In fact, there seem to have been 27 newer versions, since I went from 1.15 to 1.42. 1.42 was apparently released on November 8.

I ran Windows Update, but the only thing it updated was definitions for Windows Defender. I assume the number of hotfixes installed is so small just because I reinstalled the operating system so recently that there haven't been many hotfixes since then.

The Event Viewer log is from immediately after I finished doing all these things and restarted the computer. If uninstalling Acronis and Daemon Tools or updating BIOS fixed the problem, I won't know for some time, since by the very nature of the problem I need to leave the computer running for several hours before I would expect it to crash on sleep. I'll post back here as soon as I get the chance to test it.

Once again, I really appreciate the help.

Attached Files

Edited by turtleman579, 17 November 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

Didn't see any evidence in the Admin log file (that I could tell)

Now we wait and see what happens.......

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 turtleman579

turtleman579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

I had some hope after my first few attempts, but sadly it's still happening. I also looked into some of the errors in the event viewer, but none of them really seemed like anything that really needed to be addressed at all, let alone causing this problem. My only clue remains the fact that it doesn't happen if the computer hasn't been on for very long.
Here are the SpeedFan logs so far.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:51 AM

A quick review of the SpeedFan logs didn't show any temp problems.

Have you noted any higher temps (60's or above)?

I'd suggest trying a clean install of W10 in order to see if this is software or hardware based.

Be sure to backup your stuff first!

If the computer came w/W10, use the HP recovery media to reset the system.

If it didn't come w/W10, use this free download to make the recovery media tool from Microsoft:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Don't install anything else while testing.

Use Windows Defender for protection while testing.

Check Device Manager for problems.  If you find any, these things must be updated (best using W10 compatible drivers from the HP website)

Make sure that you have ALL available Windows Updates

Then test to see if the problem recurs

If it does, then it's most likely hardware.

If it doesn't, then it's most likely software.  Be careful adding stuff to the system if this is the case, as something that you add may cause the problems to surface again.

Good luck!

#7 turtleman579

turtleman579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

Well, the problem with that is that I'm a college student. I use my computer for homework on a daily basis; I really can't afford to wipe it right now. The crash a few weeks ago hurt my grades more than a little.

If that's the only thing to do from here, then I'm going to have to say, "sorry for wasting your time" and just learn to live with this problem.

Because this issue popped up after my previous reinstall, I doubt it's hardware. Or rather, it would be quite a coincidence if I had some form of hardware failure at the same time my OS had to be reinstalled, unless that process itself could somehow damage the hardware.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

I understand that this is difficult for you.  But you lose time either way - it's your choice as to what you can afford (both time and money-wise).

This most important thing at this point is to backup your stuff.  That way if the computer dies, you'll still have your files (so you can work on them on another system).

I've had issues like this on my own systems in the past.
As I'm lazy, I just shut the computer down rather than letting it sleep.

I also disabled Sleep - that way I couldn't forget it and crash the system unintentionally.

Have you tried Hibernation?  Does the same problem occur there?

Just a thought - have you disabled Fast Startup? (it's in Power Options....System Settings)

That was a fix back in the W7 days - it might work now.

Finally, here's a bunch of repair suggestions that you may want to try (up until the wipe and reinstall stuff):

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order).   Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

#9 turtleman579

turtleman579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

I'm very sorry for the delay. It's finals season now, so I've been pretty busy.

Startup Repair says it can't fix the problem. I don't have a System Restore point from before the problem, since it's been happening since I reinstalled the OS. SFC runs properly, but finds no problems. I don't want to try the refresh or reinstall until after the quarter ends, so I'll put a pin in the rest of those suggestions.

Disabling fast startup unfortunately does not fix the problem either. However, Hibernate DOES work! ...Well, it works well enough. Technically, it still crashes when it goes into Hibernate, with the same LED behavior as the Sleep crash. But it finishes writing the open programs to the hard disk before it crashes, so when I turn it back on it restores just like if it were in Sleep mode! The startup time is a bit longer, but it's still way better than rebooting from scratch. Using Hibernate is a perfectly good workaround, so thank you very much for that!

I still intend to try to fix the problem, but I'll wait until after the quarter ends in mid-December. And if it still happens after a fresh install, I'll just keep using Hibernate. If I do figure out the problem (and assuming the topic is still open), I'll post what it was here. Thank you very much for your help!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:21 AM

Good luck!  The topic will stay open indefinitely - and I'll be notified by email when you next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users