Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Anniversary Update will not complete

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chembel

chembel

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

I have an HP Pavillion laptop that was originally a Windows 7 Laptop that we installed Windows 10 on when the upgrade was available for free. It has worked just fine until the Anniversary update came out. We have tried a number of times to install the update on this computer. I have done System File Check and the DISM run and have done it until I have gotten 3 clean "No Integrity Violations found" answers back. I have run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes on it and it is clean. I uninstalled Norton 360 thinking that it was interfering with the update. This time I used the Windows Update Assistant and the machine went completely through the process and I even had it restarted to complete the updates. I saw it go to about 39% complete, restart and get as far as 79%, then it restarted and for the past 2 hours I have had a black screen with the processing circle of light spinning at the bottom of the screen. This is where this machine has gotten every time I try to install this update. In the past I have tried to let this run overnight to see if it would complete. In fact one time we left it run for over 24 hours and nothing happened. Just the spinning circle at the bottom of the screen on the black background.

I am so frustrated with this. I am once again forcing it to shut off and restore the previous version of Windows. I don't know what to try. I just checked and I did turn untick the Turn on fast startup" option in the Power settings. I do not have a lot of confidence that it will matter. My desktop has that setting ticked and it installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update without a hitch. But I thought I would try it. So before I go through this update one more time I am asking if anyone knows of anything else I should try?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:55 AM

Are you removing any usb devices before you do it?

If you are using a wireless mouse and keyboard try borrowing a friends's wired one just for the upgrade.

See comments under this article. (I really hope you have a Logitech!)

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-windows-10-anniversary-update-install-stuck-issue-heres-how/

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

To keep a record of your system profile at any given time, you can publish to the Web using Speccy. Speccy uses Piriform's servers to publish the profile without any identifying information. Each profile is given a unique URL. For an example, see:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nGmV1yekiTFbWJJ1oggVwcV

The last part of each URL is randomized, so only people you provide with the URL will be able to find your profile.

Note: Each time you start Speccy, it will generate a new randomized URL. This is useful if you want to track your computer's information over time.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

• In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

• Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

• In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:33 PM

To Opera,

Yes I do have a Logitech wireless mouse hooked up to this computer. Will it be okay if I use the touchpad on the laptop rather than trying to find a wired mouse?

chembel

#5 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

To Opera & Freebooter,

I will get the specs posted to Speccy, but I have to admit that I was mistaken. I had not run system file check and the DISM software on this laptop. When I went back and checked, I do have some problems with files. So, I am going to be running that through this system and get the system files fixed before I do anything else. I promise I will get back to you with specs and a report prior to trying to run the update. Please be patient with me. I really thought that I had run this on this machine already. Sorry for the miss information.

chembel

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

We will be here chembel take your time!

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

Okay,

I finally have completed the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and it completed successfully. Then I ran sfc /scannow 3 times and got a "No Integrity violations found." each time. I think my machine is ready to be updated. When I ran the system file check last night, it told me that there were corrupt files. So this morning I did the DISM run first thing. Then the system file check three times.

I have included the URL for the specs as you asked.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7BvoBoA8Wj0nEAwHDiEJy8R

I have removed the receiver for the Logitech Mouse and turned the mouse off. I would like to re-run the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant again if you two think that is what I should do. Is there some other way for me to get the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 to run on this machine?

Any assistance is going to be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your patience with me. I also am just a bit gun shy of doing anything else because the time that it takes for the install to happen. It seems like it takes forever. But maybe that was because of the corrupt/damaged files in the system.

chembel

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Give it another  go.. you won't know until you try if it will work :)

#9 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Well, I uninstalled the last version of the Windows 10 Update Assistant and went out to Microsoft and downloaded the latest version. I kicked it off at about 8:00 cst. It went through the download and updating Windows 10 fairly quickly. It got to the end and said that it needed to restart the computer to comlete the update. I could restart the computer by pressing the "Restart Now" button or Windows would wait for the computer to be idle and then restart it. I chose to use the "Restart Now" button. It said that it would take about 90 minutes to complete the process. That was approximately 40 minutes ago and it is showing 20% completed on the screen. This is taking longer than it did the last time when it hung up. So, I am hopeful.

I don't know how long I should wait before I conclude that it is hung. This is like the 4th or 5th time I have tried to do this computer. And one time I actually let it run overnight to no avail. So what is your suggestion as far as how long to wait for it to complete the process?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

Hi chembel,

Is the update finnish if not how long have you been waiting for it to finnish?

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

YAY!!!!

It worked. Finally. It took about 2 hours for it to complete the update but it is done and I am so happy that it worked. Can't say what it was that was stopping it before. I know that at one time I had run the system file check and then the DISM run because of corrupted files but it seems like the Windows 10 update assistant may have been corrupted. I did go out and get a new copy of that software and it went through without a hitch. I also did this with the Logitech Wireless mouse disconnected. And, I had uninstalled Norton 360 and another piece of software that hooks the computer into an online back up system. Seemed like that may also get in the way. Don't know which one of those fixed it but I actually don't care. It worked and that is all I really care about. Thank you for your suggestions and I really appreciate all of the words of encouragement.

Please try to keep this website available. I find it most useful. Thank You!!!

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:26 PM

You are very welcome chembel,

The issue could be the result of the corrupted or missing Windows system files which you have repaired.

2GvnEq2.gif

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

Really good to hear it all went well chembel :)

You'll be classed as an expert now by your friends !!

Edited by opera, 14 November 2016 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users