Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

failed to send the firmware file to the printer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi, I am currently in the middle of setting up a new printer which is an Epson workforce WF-2660DWF. However upon trying to install addition software I keep getting this failed update error message. I have tried to do several things already but still seem to get the same error message. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hi:

A bit more information would help us to better help you.

For starters:

1. What version of Windows?
  2. 32-bit or 64-bit?
  3. How are you connected to the printer (local (USB), wired (ethernet) or wifi)?
  4. Are you installing the drivers/software from media (CD or DVD) or from a download?
  5. If a download, where did you get the software/driver download -- from Epson?
  6. Can you please post a screen shot of the error?
  7. EDIT: Also, my personal experience is only with HP, not Epson, but I presume one would need to first install and configure the drivers/software BEFORE attempting a firmware update.

Thanks,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 12 November 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hi,

• 64 bit version of Windows.
  • Connected via WiFi.
  • Installing from DVD.
  • 38092a259d8035c937ba15c050d4d074.png

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi:

Thanks for the additional information.

Most important question remains unanswered: What version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1 or 10)?

That is important because there may or may not be drivers/software for that printer for your version of Windows.

Next:

Assuming that there are drivers for your version of Windows, I suggest starting from scratch.

First:

I would cleanly remove all Epson software and drivers (and any remaining folders, if need be) and reboot the computer.

Then, I would go to the Epson site and download a fresh copy of the drivers/software for your version and architecture:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2660/s/SPT_C11CE33201

Then, I would download and save a copy of the User Guide/Manual:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2660/s/SPT_C11CE33201#manuals

Then, I would follow the setup wizard instructions for the driver/software installation, using the posted videos to guide you, if necessary:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-2660/s/SPT_C11CE33201#video

You may wish to try a wired (Ethernet) setup first, to rule out problems with wifi connectivity.

Most AIO printers allow one to switch from wired to wifi....

Under normal circumstances, I would think one would not necessarily need to  (or be able to) update the printer FIRMWARE until the printer drivers/software itself is actually installed.

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#5 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

Hi, sorry I'm using Windows 10 home.

Also apart from this issue everything else seems to be working fine such as printing out documents.

However I will follow your advice and let you know about the results within the next 24 hours.

Thanks.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi:

Well, if the printer is working properly, then I suppose the next question is: why are you trying to update the firmware?

• Did you receive some sort of prompt to do so?
  • Is there a specific problem the firmware update is supposed to fix?

Three other things:

1. Did you try the suggestion in the dialog window, to reboot the printer?
  2. Did you try a wired (Ethernet) connection, instead of wifi?
  3. If the printer is under warranty, did you try to contact Epson support?

Having said that, you mention that you "tried to do several things already".

Without knowing what those things were, it's hard to know if they merely failed or if they may have messed up something.

Once a firmware upgrade goes "belly up", it can be a pain to fix.

That's why I recommended starting fresh.

But it's up to you...

Keep us posted,

MM

Attached Files

#7 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi, I basically just saw other addition software to install from the disc which I thought I would have a go at installing. However everything that I need the printer to do does seem to be working fine at the moment.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it 'til it is.

Unless there is something in the firmware that is security related or fixes and issue you are having there is no reason to update the firmware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users