Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Setting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fred04

fred04

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

I changed and upgraded the memory and hard drive on my Gateway Laptop computer. I am having problems installing the Windows 10 ISO file from my USB as there seems to be a problem with BIOS. Prior to the upgrade of hardware I was tinkering with the Bios due to the hard drive being affected. I may have messed something up in the Bios settings as I am asked to enter a password as I don't remember creating one. Is there a way to reset the settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

Motherboards have BIOS/CMOS jumpers on them that will clear any settings. Might be labeled the CMOS also on the board itself. Alternately you can remove the CMOS battery itself then replace it- that will do the same thing. This is a good thing to do after making a hardware change anyway. You can set the BIOS settings back to there defaults.

Dont think Gateway is around anymore but you might find more info on there website as to the actual location of the jumper on your board.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 fred04

fred04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I opened up the computer and removed the CMOS battery; however, I did not replace the battery just reinstalled. Unfortunately, the computer was unable to

clear the settings. Should I have replaced with a new battery? Not sure where the BIOS/CMOS jumpers are located on this motherboard.

Do you know or have the exact location of the pins to jump?

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Removing then replacing the battery should work. Jumper locations vary from board to board and theres more than one jumper. If you look closely, a magnifying lens might help you might see it actually labeled on the board itself near the correct jumper. Not really sure if that would be the case on a stock Gateway board.

​See if this link helps;

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users