Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Network Adapter(s) Not Present

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hi there,
This is the second outlet I went to in order to try and solve my issue, hopefully I can get this thing handled soon.
Over a month ago, a Windows Update caused the boot sectors in my boot drive to become corrupt. I tried anything I could without wiping the drive, but I was stuck in a "System Repair" loop upon starting up my computer and I was forced to wipe my drive and start over. As a result of this, my computer seems to be unable to recognize anything in my system right now and it can't even connect to the Internet due to a lack of network adapter. I downloaded LAN and Firmware drivers from ASRock's website for my motherboard, but this is the error I see each time I try and install a driver from my flash drive:

"Cannot install drivers. No Intel® Adapters are present in this computer."

I have an Ethernet cord connected to the PC, but as I said, there is no driver present to recognize said connection. I'm using Windows 7 Professional and my motherboard is an ASRock z77 Extreme4. When inside the "System Information" after typing "msinfo32" into the Start Bar, I get this info from the Problem Devices tab:

Ethernet Controller - PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16B1&SUBSYS_96B11849&REV_10\4&2B8260C3&0&00E4
Network Controller - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002D&SUBSYS_0300168C&REV_01\5&6CAA52&0&0800E5
Not Available - ACPI\INT33A0\0
PCI Simple Communications Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_1E3A1849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0
SM Bus Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_1E221849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FB
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_1E311849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&A0
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_10421849&REV_00\4&37A73C8A&0&00E7
Video Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_01621849&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10

All of which are followed by "The drivers for this device are not installed."

I'm hoping this information helps you. I just need to get my computer connected to the Internet, and I'll feel much better.
Thank you to anyone who can help me. I need it.

Kevin

P.S. - I had to Google most of this info to get to the point I'm at right now, so please, when providing the solution, I ask that you be as specific as possible. I hate to make the process tedious, I just don't want to misunderstand a direction or mess something up. I will be monitoring this thread as closely as I can to provide feedback.

Edited by KevinSchmidty, 12 November 2016 - 04:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

That is not an intel Ethernet Adapter, it is a Broadcom adapter and your wireless is an Atheros chipset. Can you give me the model number of the ASUS or ASUS motherboard?

#3 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

My apologies. The motherboard is:
ASRock z77 Extreme4

I'm having trouble locating a model number. I found the installation guide. Would it be in there?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

I believe that is enough. Here is your download page. 

7th on the list is your Broadcom Ethernet driver. I will need to go through your list for the other drivers.

3/8/2012 Windows® 7 64bit 5.16MB Broadcom Lan driver ver:14.8.4.1

Edit: I will keep editing this post as I go along finding drivers.

For the Network Adapter which is your wifi Atheros chipset go here and click on the green download driver button. It helps if you use a browser with an adblock addon. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Delete the three files that do not have a x suffix in the name as these are 32bit drivers. Right click the Network Adapter in Device Manager and select Update Driver. Point it to the inf file in the unzipped folder.

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_1E311849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&A0  is the intel USB 3 driver.

This is second from the last in the driver section of the Asrock support page.

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_10421849&REV_00\4&37A73C8A&0&00E7 is the ASMedia USB 3 controller.

ACPI\INT33A0\0  is the intel Smart Connect Driver

PCI Simple Communications Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3A&SUBSYS_1E3A1849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0 is the Intel Management Engine Driver

Video Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_01621849&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10 is the intel HD 4000 graphics driver. Download here.

SM Bus Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_1E221849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FB. This is your chipset driver. I believe you need an internet connection. Download the inf driver on the ASRock driver page.

3/8/2012 Windows® 7 64bit 2.86MB INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 November 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#5 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

JohnC_21, you're helping me out big time. I really appreciate the time you're taking to do this for me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

No problem, post back if you have any more questions.

#7 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

I'm spending my weekend working on this thing. If anything surfaces later tonight or sometime tomorrow, I'll let you know.

#8 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

I apologize on the late reply, but I wanted to submit a final (hopefully) post.clear.png

Everything is fixed. And for the sake of maybe someone else in the future stumbling into this thread, this is exactly what I did AFTER my main hard drive had to be wiped:
  • Luckily, I have multiple hard drives, so the one I wiped didn't have much more than my music on it, which I was able to salvage through a friend's computer. He had an attachment that let him read the hard drive and rip any files from it I deemed important before wiping. If you find yourself in a position where this is your only hard drive, then I know it will feel awful, but try and get a hold of someone who can help you pull important data from it, if you're not already backing everything up.
  • I reinstalled Windows and (after mis-identifying my motherboard, see above) logged onto my motherboard company's website (ASRock, for me) on a separate computer. I went to the website looking for drivers for my specific motherboard and just downloaded everything. Multiple drivers will be listed, and the Internet (LAN) driver may be the most important, but I got everything. I didn't want to work back and forth multiple times, so I just downloaded all of them to condense it to one trip.
  • Once I plugged in the flash drive with all the drivers on it, they installed themselves by running the .exe application inside of each .zip folder that I downloaded. Didn't take much longer than a half hour to install everything.
  • Once that was done, I knew I needed the drivers for all the other stuff in there: graphics card, WiFi hardware, etc. I took an easy way out and used a program called Driver Easy. It searches within your computer, finds what needs to be updated, and downloads the update for everything. It's free, but if you pay for it, it will automatically install those downloads as well. If you stick with the free version, you have to manually install them yourself.
  • From that point, everything was set. I had some coloring issues with my NVIDIA graphics card, but that just came from correcting the contrast and things like that, nothing that needed serious repair. And lately, it hasn't needed any adjusting, so I suppose it sorted itself out.​
I want to reiterate that this problem hit me out of nowhere, and read that Windows Updates can cause boot sectors to become corrupt. This felt like an extremely rare occurrence, so hopefully I was able to fill that small part of the statistic pool so a bunch of other people won't have to go through what I did.

I want to thank the help I got from Bleeping Computer as well as some other forums I tried. I compiled all the information I received and was able to get my life back to normal. :)
Thank you again, guys.

Edited by KevinSchmidty, 05 December 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. I would advise that you create a complete disk image to an external drive using one of the following programs.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Free

Easeus Todo Backup Free

I have used the first two without an issue and have successfully restored an image to an unbootable computer. Using the bootable recovery disk or USB each program creates you can boot and restore your image from the external drive if the computer does not boot due to file corruption or malware. You can also recover the disk image to a clean new drive and be back up in minutes vs hours setting up your computer and reinstalling programs including your drivers.

Each program also lets you browse files withing in image should you need to copy a file from it. They also let you create updated images to the hard drive both differential and incremental from the base image to reduce image size.

#10 KevinSchmidty

KevinSchmidty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

That's very good to know. I'll definitely hold onto that info.

As unexpected as this was for me, it'd be tough to predict a situation where this ISN'T useful to have.

Thank you.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Macrium Reflect and Aomei have saved my bacon. These programs are great if you need to replace the drive. No pre-formatting needed. Just restore the image and go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users