Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Happened to My Videos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

I have Windows 7 64 system. I have installed a drive to hold the videos. I use Filmora to create the video. After the videos were created I right clicked on them and Sent to my video drive. I checked and they were there. To keep my C drive from getting over crowded I deleted the videos from Filmora. Now they are also gone from my video drive. Why is that? Is this normal? I wanted to save them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:21 PM

What file format were these videos?  What file extension was used?

Do other videos appear to function normally?

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

After the videos were created I right clicked on them and Sent to my video drive.

When you R-click on a program and select "send to" you are sending a shortcut, not the actual file. The proper way is to Copy and Paste into the new folder. So you actually deleted the original files. Hopefully they deleted to to the Recycle Bin? Check it out.

If not, have you been making backups?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Well my friends let me begin. I am not sure what the file type is. They were created in FIlmora. I put one in my DVD drive and right clicked on it and it said it was a VDF file. As long as I have been playing with computers I thought that (send to) would send a copy and not a short cut. How come ,when I put in a thumb drive and (send to) the thumb drive, a copy goes to the thumb drive? I just questioned my wife ,and she said she copied and pasted. So now I am really confused.

Edited by WilliamP, 13 November 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

You are correct! I just checked, and evidently Windows only sends a shortcut to the desktop from R-clicking on a file, but when I R-clicked and sent it to other directories the full file was copied and sent. I have only sent shortcuts from .exe's to the desktop and assumed Windows always treated R-click sends that way. Sorry for the mis-information! So we are back to square one.

You said:

To keep my C drive from getting over crowded I deleted the videos from Filmora

I am wondering if, for some unknown reason, Filmora keeps an active link to copied files so if you edit the original it automatically changes the copy also (?). So if you delete the original, the copy is deleted. This feature made use of Microsoft OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) which is a part of Windows. When I used to create websites with Microsoft Frontpage (years ago) they had this feature and it made changing and updating various web pages on a large site very easy. This is just a shot in the dark, I have no direct knowledge. But I can't think of any other thing that would cause this. If there is a user help or forum for this company you might want to check with them.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 November 2016 - 06:59 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

I use Filmora for editing most of my video projects. There are many useful tutorials - hopefully this one will help with understanding how to 'export' and 'save' to your computer. 

http://filmora.wondershare.com/get-creative/how-to-share-videos.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users